Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/15/2007, 07:14 AM   #1
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

Marjorie's Fairy Wrasse ..... will come

An amazing news about a great Cirrhilabrus marjorie Allen, Randall & Carlson, 2003.

I just was informed on the phone by a dealer in Tokyo that this species would be shipped from Fiji to Japan for the first time on next Saturday. He said that two pairs will be imported and I asked for a pair. I cannot wait for the arrival of this rare beauty. He said that some will be shipped to other countries if there are requests. I also hope that some of Cirrhilabrus enthusiasts would see and get such a "lavishly" colored specimen~ it needs much money to pay.

----- a Fijian endemic, reaches 8cm, females sometimes larger than males in a harem, found in 20-50 meters depth, first collected in 2003, named after Marjorie Awai-----

References;
aqua, Journal of Ichthyology and Aquatic Biology Volume 7, Number 3 : 113-118.
Kuiter, R. & H. Debelius, 2006. -World Atlas of Marine Fishes. 720pp.
Randall, J., 2005. -Reef & Shore Fishes of the South Pacific. 707pp.
Steene, R., 2006. -Oceanic Wilderness. 339pp.

H.Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2007, 09:02 AM   #2
wrasseguy2
Registered Member

that is really neat i can't wait to see pics of your new one...if i could find a place here that had them i would get one in a minute...that is a very pretty fish i love that color in its dorsal fin

wrasseguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2007, 09:05 AM   #3
unicornis
Registered Member

Wow BEAUTIFUL FISH!!!

Mr Tanaka, i recently saw a shipment with many wrasses that look like the female you posted. In fact they look exactly like it. But I do know that there are many other species with juvenile that look like it(hope i am right).

The shipment is from indonesia, is this marjorie endermic to only Fiji?

unicornis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2007, 09:08 AM   #4
snorvich
Team RC member

Do you anticipate any USA availability for this fish? Ideally, a pair?

Unread 04/15/2007, 04:18 PM   #5
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

Perhaps it would enter the US aquarium trade.

Females of it are greatly similar to those of lubbocki, flavidorsalis and adornatus from Indonesian seas.

I am sure to show it when I got.

Unread 04/15/2007, 05:46 PM   #6
unicornis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H.Tanaka
Perhaps it would enter the US aquarium trade.

Females of it are greatly similar to those of lubbocki, flavidorsalis and adornatus from Indonesian seas.

I am sure to show it when I got.
Thanks, now I am sure those are juvenile or female of other species

unicornis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2007, 12:54 PM   #7
sedgro
Premium Member

I hear throught the grapevine that Oldtown Aquarium (www.oldtownaquarium.com) in Chicago will be getting a pair of these next week. So they have hit the US!

sedgro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2007, 01:21 PM   #8
DeltecRules
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sedgro
I hear throught the grapevine that Oldtown Aquarium (www.oldtownaquarium.com) in Chicago will be getting a pair of these next week. So they have hit the US!
Been there twice. That store is so over priced.

Pair of Lineatus Fairy wrasse
Tinkers Butterfly
Pair of Picasso Clown fish
Mystery wrasse

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon, 220 gallon system, 30 gallon sump, Bubble King 250 External Skimmer, Hamilton 2-175 watt 15,000 K Iwasaki's, 2 96 watt 03 Actinics, Tunze 2X6101's
DeltecRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2007, 02:22 PM   #9
sedgro
Premium Member

Sort of like Deltec

And overpirced compared to what? You get what you pay for. Know any other stores in Chicagoland that stock Interruptus, Joculator or Conspiculatus angels? How about all 3 at once? How about other stores in downtown Chicago? I have been going to Oldtown as long as I can remember - no other store in Chicago carries the variety, rare finds, or quality of fish.

Last edited by sedgro; 04/20/2007 at 03:09 PM.
Unread 04/20/2007, 09:57 PM   #10
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

DeltecRules,

The dealer in Tokyo will send a pair of Cirrhilabrus marjorie soon and they would reach me tomorrow afternoon. They will come together with a male Paracheilinus attenuatus with a filament from Kenya. I will show photos of them in the thread tomorrow.

Unread 04/20/2007, 10:36 PM   #11
DeltecRules
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sedgro
Sort of like Deltec

And overpirced compared to what? You get what you pay for. Know any other stores in Chicagoland that stock Interruptus, Joculator or Conspiculatus angels? How about all 3 at once? How about other stores in downtown Chicago? I have been going to Oldtown as long as I can remember - no other store in Chicago carries the variety, rare finds, or quality of fish.
Dude I been to oldtown many times. There rare fish are very overpriced .The online vendors were I have purchased my rare fish are far more reasonasble priced than oldtown. The staff at oldtown are very unprofessonal who I have dealth with. They do carry some nice stuff but for that price I can get it online with quality online vendors like liveaquaria, phisybuisness. And yes they do get interuptus angels, mitradus butterflies, hellfrichi firefish and anything rare and unusual fish, plus alive arrival guarantee's and 14 day live guarantees. I like to see oldtown do that.

Deepreefaquatics in downers grove use to carry all of those fish and get stuff oldtown wish they can get. The prices were also alot cheaper that oldtown. They closed down a few weeks ago due to he owner concentrating on other matters. Had the best rare fish and best prices in the chicagoland area hands down. Use to be able to get interupstus angels, all kinds of rare fairy wrasses, rare butterflies. Things I have never seen before which I have been in this hobby fo 15 years. Me and a few local chicago people who venture on this forum have basically turned to online vendors for our rare and unusal fish, because all of the LFS around us don't carry any rare fish, if they do places like oldtown, there prices are outrageous compared to the online vendors I know.

And about Deltecs, what you said "you get what you pay for," and what I got was a awesome performing skimmer which has surpassed those other crappy skimmers I use to have. I would glady buy it again to protect all those rare and expensive fish I have

Tinkers Butterfly
Mystery wrasse

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon, 220 gallon system, 30 gallon sump, Bubble King 250 External Skimmer, Hamilton 2-175 watt 15,000 K Iwasaki's, 2 96 watt 03 Actinics, Tunze 2X6101's
Unread 04/20/2007, 10:47 PM   #12
DeltecRules
Registered Member

Quote:
DeltecRules,

The dealer in Tokyo will send a pair of Cirrhilabrus marjorie soon and they would reach me tomorrow afternoon. They will come together with a male Paracheilinus attenuatus with a filament from Kenya. I will show photos of them in the thread tomorrow.
Looking forward Mr. Tanaka. The C. majorie looks like a beautiful fairy. Its always exciting when a new species is introduced to us. How big will they be comming in to you?
I been trying really hard to get a new pic of my attenuatus, but he moves so fast flashing around. My camera skills need some improvement especially with my crappy digital camera. By the way the attenuatus seems to be a little aggressive compared to other flashers, he is always picking on my mystery wrasse which is an slightly bigger than him. Its funny watching him circling the mystery wrasse flashing him.

Tinkers Butterfly
Mystery wrasse

Unread 04/21/2007, 12:56 AM   #13
zemuron114
Moved On

Tanaka, How deep are they collected? I would think that with the high exporting in fish from Fiji that some would have come through by now. Must be deep buggers with the use of more rebreathers now, im sure there will be tons of new stuff coming into the trade

zemuron114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2007, 04:18 AM   #14
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

This species is said to be seen at the depths between 20-50 meters.

Now I do not know their sizes, and perhaps around 7cm or more, and females sometimes are bigger than males for the species.

Unread 04/21/2007, 06:24 AM   #15
sedgro
Premium Member

DeltecRules-

We have a difference of opinion. However, at this is not the "Vendor Experiences" forum, I will keep future opions to myself. My point in posting about where the C. marjorie was coming in was not to solicit an opinion about Oldtown, only to provide information for those that might be interested.

Unread 04/21/2007, 06:40 AM   #16
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

C. marjorie is at last on sale in Tokyo, and see the web bekow. It is very expensive; some US$1100,- for a pair.

http://b-boxmarine.hp.infoseek.co.jp/page002.html

Unread 04/21/2007, 07:03 PM   #17
DeltecRules
Registered Member

Quote:
C. marjorie is at last on sale in Tokyo, and see the web bekow. It is very expensive; some US$1100,- for a pair.

http://b-boxmarine.hp.infoseek.co.jp/page002.html
Wow!! Thats more than a pair of earlie's I believe.

Tinkers Butterfly
Mystery wrasse

Unread 04/22/2007, 01:42 AM   #18
zemuron114
Moved On

20-50 meters is not very deep. why do you think they havn't been collected before??

What are those anthias?? they are nice!

Unread 04/22/2007, 08:32 AM   #19
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

Marjorie's Fairy Wrasse from Fiji

I received a pair of Marjorie's Fairy Wrasse this afternoon (around 14:00), April 22, 2007.

The male is just 8cm long (full size) and the female is nearly 7cm. One of two pairs imported to Japan for the first time.

The male exhibiits colors of fear at the bottom of the tank, and compare it with the males shown above. The female is actively swimming around the tank and eats well.

They dwell at shallower waters in Fiji and are found in the central part of the Fiji Islands until now. Maybe turist- divers have not dived there (?) or professional collectors did not reach the area (?)

Unread 04/22/2007, 09:40 AM   #20
wrasseguy2
Registered Member

very nice Tanaka...i know if i get a chance to get my hands on one i am going to scoop it for sure...i love that orange color they have...thanks for the pics

wrasseguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2007, 09:53 AM   #21
Bret61081
Registered Member

here is what a large wholesaler out of LA posted on their webpage about this fish:

The Cirrhilabrus marjorie is a deepwater fairy wrasse endemic to the north-western waters of Fiji. Once regarded as a colorform of C. bathyphilus, these gorgeous fish were officially identified by Bruce Carlson, Gerry Allen, and Jack Randall in 2003 and named after Bruce's wife, Marjorie.
The Marjorie's Wrasse is typically found at depths of 20-50 meters where males are typically seen surrounded by a large harem of females. The males have a very distinct coloration with a bright red upper half of their body and head. The lower half of their body is grayish-white with four or five light grey horizontal stripes extending from behind the gill plate to the caudal peduncle. They have a yellow caudal fin with bold black margins and blue fringes on the dorsal and caudal fins. Females are reddish pink with a single large black spot just above their caudal peduncle. The females have been reported to sometimes be larger than the males and occasionally develop similar yellow markings on their tails. They are hardly distinguishable from several other species of female Cirrhilabrus.

Tony Nahacky of Fiji, Pete Basabe of Hawaii, and our president, Chris Buerner of California recently returned from a successful collecting expedition, hoping to find this species. Only a dozen or so pairs were collected at depths varying from 80-130 feet, all pre-sold, with half of the catch headed for the Japanese market. We only have a handful of pairs, and more won't be collected or available any time in the near future.

Bret61081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2007, 06:34 PM   #22
zemuron114
Moved On

Interesting. What wholesaler?

Someone will eventually get some more and probably set up a station over in that area. More will come

Unread 04/22/2007, 08:13 PM   #23
MarvinsReef
Moved On

Re: Marjorie's Fairy Wrasse from Fiji

Quote:
liking this guy a lot..

awesome pick up Tanaka..

MarvinsReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2007, 06:22 AM   #24
LargeAngels
Premium Member

http://www.qualitymarineusa.com/

LargeAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2007, 09:12 AM   #25
H.Tanaka
Premium Member

Male of C. marjorie, just 8cm long.

It did not come out until evening at around 6:00 PM (April 23, 2007). Now it accepts some foods and is somewhat aggressive toward other fishes in the tank.