Lobster Thermidor (+$10): Worth it but tip line is misleading

fstuff1

It's a whole lobster and it's wonderful.

I have the dining package.

the bill comes and i see the auto-20% tip on the $10 upcharge for the lobster dish.

when i click on no additional tip, another pop-up appears.

to me, that second screen with 0% tip line makes it seem like you havent tipped where as you were already charged the 20% tip!

to me, it seems to mislead you into tipping again!

Just get rid of that tip line on the 2nd screen if you havent left additional tip.

How do you see it?

20220104_174340.jpg

20220104_181127.jpg

20220104_184346.jpg

20220104_184427.jpg

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, fstuff1 said:

the bill comes and i see the auto-20% tip on the $10 upcharge for the lobster dish.

to me, that second screen with 0% tip line makes it seem like you havent tipped where as you were already charged the 20% tip!

How do you see it?

20220104_184346.jpg

20220104_184427.jpg

It clearly states ADDITIONAL tip.  Seems straightforward to me.  

• Like 2

@Fstuff1, did you  enjoy the  Lobster  Thermidor?  

I ask because  I tried it on the Breakaway last month  and I was disappointed.  It was bland.  As it was the my first Thermidor  ever, perhaps I should try it on another cruise.

50 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

Just get rid of that tip line on the 2nd screen if you havent left additional tip.

How do you see it?

20220104_174340.jpg

20220104_181127.jpg

20220104_184346.jpg

20220104_184427.jpg

I see this as simply a confirmation to the former (screen). 🤷🏿‍♂️

Also, I wish I liked lobster, but...😖

Edited by SireDoime

You could’ve clicked on the other box “Submit with no Additional Tip” ….

Edit: just reread your post, but were  you sure you clicked on the No Tip as the Additional Tip is still highlighted blue. 

Edited by bluesea777

Imagine all of this kerfluffle over $2 tip. Imagine THIS being so important that you have to take photographs and try to make it a topic on a forum. I've always believed that there is a difference between one party's inability to understand vs the other party being misleading. Couldn't help but notice that no additional tip was entered on the screens...so the server only got $2 as a tip for the entire meal.

. . . and people think the cruise lines are the ones that are guilty of nickel and diming. 🙄

• Haha 2

I disagree, I found this post informative and worth posting. The amount is not relevant.

One other thing is that it appears that specialty restaurants have moved away from paper receipts and on to something like an iPad for dining processing. I never would have know that without this post.

1 hour ago, WYB! said:

I disagree, I found this post informative and worth posting. The amount is not relevant.

One other thing is that it appears that specialty restaurants have moved away from paper receipts and on to something like an iPad for dining processing. I never would have know that without this post.

Well, when they walked up to the table with the "something like an iPad" I'm certain you would have figured it out at the time. Outside of that, what benefit is there from knowing that a restaurant you may or may not visit in the future is using "something like an iPad" right now? (Especially given the possibility that the device could actually no longer be in use by the time you sail?)

The pictures from the OP show a physical menu.
I'm getting on the Gem 3 days from now and have dining reservations at Le Bistro 4 days from now.
I've never had the lobster thermidor or even seen it before on board. 
There maybe a few people that still don't know how to use an iPad or similar for dining and it's something new. Me, I plan on bring along a stylus to dinner now.
I found the OP's post helpful. Yours not so much...

Edited by WYB!
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Imagine all of this kerfluffle over $2 tip. Imagine THIS being so important that you have to take photographs and try to make it a topic on a forum. I've always believed that there is a difference between one party's inability to understand vs the other party being misleading. Couldn't help but notice that no additional tip was entered on the screens...so the server only got $2 as a tip for the entire meal.

. . . and people think the cruise lines are the ones that are guilty of nickel and diming. 🙄

The $2 tip was on the Lobster Thermidor up charge, not on the entire meal.  Gratuities for the meal were paid when the dining package was chosen.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

It says additional. I would never eat at a specialty restaurant without tipping extra. I always bring cash to tip the server but I'd fill in the additional if I had none . 

when tip is already included, and I receive a receipt with "additional tip" I simply write in "cash", then I hand the cash to my server.  

9 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Some posters will enter this thread and tell you there should be even a third and fourth tipping button in that menu structure. :classic_ninja:

But, I think this is how the cash register software works, nothing intentional.

I am glad to hear that the upcharge for the lobster thermidor was worth it to the OP.

I agree with you that some people feel the need to tell everyone that they always tip extra. I  find it annoying that some people think we should pay more than 20% all the time.

As some one who ( pre-shut down) was a frequent cruiser, I do think it is good to point out to new cruisers that there is an additional tip line. I wish I had been warned before I made a mistake and double tipped for some expensive drinks. When they automatically used to charge 15% gratuity, I would add additional tip to bring it up to 20%, but now all tips on board start at 20%. With the drink package, we do carry cash to tip bartenders and drink servers extra, even though we payed gratuities for the package. We do not make it an exact percentage, more like a dollar or two per drink. 

We usually bring cash to tip when we go to our Platinum specialty dinners. They are the only specialty dining we do. 

• Like 1

FWIW, here's a tip about using FaS dining credits vs. Latitudes dining coupons.  FaS credits require a $10 surcharge for things like Lobster Thermidor.  If you pay a la carte, the lobster is $38.  If you use a Latitudes coupon, you get a $35 credit, so the surcharge is only $3.  The downside is that using a Latitudes coupon will only get you one appetizer, while with the FaS credit you can have multiple apps and desserts.

• Thanks 2

Also, the lobster Thermador is a great entrée to choose if you have someone in your party that has to pay ala carte.  It similar in price to many of the entrees and doesn't include the $10 upcharge when you pay ala carte.  I think it was $39 on our sailing last month. 

We had the free specialty dining meal for 4 out of 5 in our family.  (We had connecting balcony rooms with three persons  in one and two in the other.)  Only the first two guests in each room get the free specialty meal.  My daughter (who didn't have the meal credit) wanted it anyway and it was a nice way for her to get the lobster at the menu price which was very similar to other entrees without the $10 adder.  

Dan

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Also, the lobster Thermador is a great entrée to choose if you have someone in your party that has to pay ala carte.  It similar in price to many of the entrees and doesn't include the $10 upcharge when you pay ala carte.  I think it was $39 on our sailing last month. 

We had the free specialty dining meal for 4 out of 5 in our family.  (We had connecting balcony rooms with three persons  in one and two in the other.)  Only the first two guests in each room get the free specialty meal.  My daughter (who didn't have the meal credit) wanted it anyway and it was a nice way for her to get the lobster at the menu price which was very similar to other entrees without the $10 adder.  

Dan

On the Epic in October I noticed that the Lobster and the Branzino were each priced at $38 a la carte, but the Lobster incurred a surcharge when using a dining package while the Branzino was covered without a surcharge.  That's why I used my Platinum dining coupon for the Lobster the first night on board, then used a Specialty Dining Package credit for the Branzino later in the cruise.  It seems like a silly game that you have to play with NCL to get the most bang for your buck, but I guess there is a method to their madness.

• Like 2

It is strange to have the surcharge on some items and not on others when they are very similar in price ala carte.   Either way, our family LOVED Le Bistro.  We are adventurous eaters so the tartare, escargot, etc... are perfect for us.

It really made for a special meal right before Christmas.

Dan

• Like 1