main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why the hate for Obi-Wan's hair in AOTC???

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Kao Cen Darach, Nov 15, 2014.

?

In which film did Obi-Wan portray his best/your favorite hairstyle?

1. Ep I: TPM

5.3%
  2. Ep II: AOTC

13.3%
  3. Ep III: ROTS

81.3%
  1. Jedi Kao Cen Darach

Jedi Kao Cen Darach Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2014
    I honestly didn't think it looked that bad. It fit the tradition of the younger Jedi who wanted to grow out their hair after being confined to near-buzz cuts as padawans, in Obi-Wan's case, the first 25 years of his life. People say that it is a mullet. Maybe. You decide.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall, I feel that it goes well with his beard, and makes him look young and fresh. I feel that the cut he got by Episode III caused him to look a lot older, by about 10 years IMO, when the clone wars lasted only 4.

Kapgre'tak and Jedi_SateleShan like this.
  2. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I like the shorter hair and beard in ROTS.

3. Commander Krix

Commander Krix Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Well that's just like Anakin and his hair.

I would think the reason it was grown out in RotS, was because he lost his braid being knighted. Therefore, he had probably said to himself, "I think I'll grow my hair out again."

Though how silly that may sound, I find that to be a good comparison to Obi-Wan's reason of growing his out in AotC. All in all, I prefer the hairstyle in AotC.

4. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    it's not really a mullet. a mullet was short on top, and in AOTC it's kind of the same length all over.
    Personally i like all the so there's an evolution over the years.

5. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    I never had a problem with Obi's hair in any of the Star Wars films.

6. VonDizzler

VonDizzler Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 28, 2014
    I've never understood the hate either. Maybe some people think he looks older with the longer hair so they confuse the order of the episodes? But I think the number of the title would be a better indication of the order of films, not Obi Wan's hair haha

Kao Cen Darach likes this.
  7. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    Who hate's Obi's hair? I never heard that before....

8. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    Never heard of anyone hating his hairstyle in Ep 2 either, I thought It looked pretty good.

9. Darth Ardyti

Darth Ardyti Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2014
    I have to say that, though I try to respect others' opinions (as long as I'm shown the same courtesy), and anything that can take a person out of the experience is a reason to not like something, I guess, but hating the hair just seems like deliberately looking for a reason to hate the movie.

10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, where is the Hate for Hair campaign? The only thing even close to dogging on his hair was some negative comments towards the wig he wore in that elevator lift scene(as posted above). It was a wig because that scene was added during reshoots and Ewan had been shooting Black Hawk Down and so sported a buzzcut. That is a wig he's wearing to match his actual hair in the rest of the film. Still, it matches fairly well. But that's the only gripe I've ever heard about his hair.

11. Ashix

Ashix Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2014
    I personally like his hair style in the third movie.

12. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    No one can deny the awesome power of the trademark Jedi Mullet. It was passed from Qui-Gon to Obi-Wan, and then from Obi-Wan to Anakin, an unbroken line of wicked cool hair which transcends generational barriers. Amen.

13. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Never had a beef with the hair, but GL had to get TPM Obi Wan to ANH Obi Wan, while trying to make AOTC Obi Wan be the Qui Gon Jinn of that movie. Qui Gon had long hair and a beard.

14. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Then presumably Dooku and Yoda rocked the Jedi Mullet at some point...

15. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    I didn't realize that people had a problem with the beard. But I do like the ROTS style best, because that looks most like him in the OT

CoolyFett and Kao Cen Darach like this.
  16. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    As is sometimes said about mullets...

Business at the front, party at the back. ;)

17. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I guess the "Jedi mullets" are being identified as such purely based on their outline, when in reality the hair in the front are the same length in the front. So they aren't really mullets at all. I always thought our heroes rocked the long hair really well.

18. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Are we running out of topics relating to the prequels that we have to resort to creating one on Obi Wan / Ewan's hair? :p To be fair, the Episode VII forum has one on Mark Hamil's beard, so its about time we had over here. [:D]

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Same here

20. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Mullets are always misunderstood. A true mullet is doctored hair: disproportionate lengths by actually shaving the sides or either spiking the front or cutting it down to bangs length. Obi-Wan's hair in Attack of the Clones is just naturally long or grown-out hair that's simply combed back or "windblown". I personally like it the best of the three. It's a very "knightly" look, or at least something akin to some of the hairstyles from Boorman's Excalibur ...or maybe Krull.

21. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Hair never bothered me. That outfit on the other hand... so last year!

22. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Well, I can't really say I "hate" anything about Ewan's appearances as Obi-Wan in any of the films[face_love] , but I do find his AOTC hair to be unflattering and even silly-looking at times, and this is saying a lot considering Ewan's fundamental level of attractiveness:p. I would've preferred to see Obi have Qui-Gon's style from TPM rather than the way it turned out. As "unfortunate" as I find the AOTC style overall, though, I do think his hair looks fantastic when it's completely wet and combed back in the Kamino scenes. I must also add that I appreciate Ingram_I's clarification on the all-important "mullet or not a mullet" point :p (it's fun to call it a "mullet," but no, it's really not a mullet).

The "short and spiky with padawan braid" look of TPM is better than the AOTC style, but still not the most flattering look IMO. So, considering each prequel film as a whole, the ROTS look is definitely the best overall look to me.

I should start a thread on Anakin's hair, too:p--I always much preferred an earlier styling option they were considering for Anakin (shown in one of the special feature "webisodes" about ROTS) to what it looks like in that film...

23. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    Pensivia wanted this look for Anakin in ROTS

[​IMG]

you heard it here first :p

24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't hate Obi's hair in any of them but wet and combed back in AotC and neat and distinguished in RotS definitely are my preferred looks. He looks very dignified in III! :D

The premature wear and signs of ageing in III were purposed. I mean Alec's Ben looked much older than he was. For that matter, so do Anakin and Tarkin in the OT.

Jedi Kao Cen Darach and Pensivia like this.
  25. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    rats, I can't see the image (it's just a little icon) :(

Edit: love your new av, Crys!

Kapgre'tak likes this.