• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver doesn't find automatically ids and classes ?

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dreamweaver members !

I am trying Dreamweaver for a few days now but I have some issues.

When I am editing my css file Dreamweaver isn't finding the ids and classes that I have in my html/php files.

In other IDE I type a # or a . and than its showing me which ids and classes I used.

Does Dreamweaver has this option too ?

Also when I export my remote sites on the PC and import them on the laptop each site is asking me for a local folder.

I have over 60 sites so do I really have to create for each site a local folder or is there an option that Dreamweaver creates this automatically ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

You gave up way too early.

If your site is defined, a critical 1st step for working with DW, it will keep track of & manage assets for you.

Go to Site > New Site.  See screenshots.

CC-localsite.jpg

IDs & Classes are in your Properties Panel (Window > Properties or Ctrl+F3),

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweaver relies a lot on users working in a defined site for its functionality to work, so it will be necessary to define all your sites. I know it does not help now, but with the next version of Dw it will be possible to use git to push files to the remote on one computer, and then pull files to another. Though i have not checked if that functionality is part of the incorporation of git.

As for the id and class problem, this may be because the files are not in a defined site, but it should work for html files. I do remember reading that php files did have a problem doing this, but i thought it had been fixed. Can you check that you are using the latest version 2017.1, (that is .1 not the prior version which was .0.1).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2017 May 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Pziecina,

Thanks for your reply.

I have decided to use a different editor because Dreamweaver does not fits my needs due to lack of features and bugs.

I appreciated that you tried to help !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You gave up way too early.

If your site is defined, a critical 1st step for working with DW, it will keep track of & manage assets for you.

Go to Site > New Site.  See screenshots.

CC-localsite.jpg

IDs & Classes are in your Properties Panel (Window > Properties or Ctrl+F3),

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Nancy OShea,

It's nice of you that you want to take the time for me to explain how Dreamweaver works !

Unfortunate I am not convinced by Dreamweaver and I personally think that many free editors are way better than Dreamweaver.

Maybe I will give Dreamweaver another chance in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EbaySeller​:

How on earth can you mark reply #2 as helpful when the poster is trialling Dreamweaver without following the proper workflow. This will give prospective Dreamweaver users a wrong impression.

I hope that Preran will see this post and undo the helpful remark.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whilst i agree that marking a post as helpfull in this case is not correct, i also wonder about the necessity of marking an answer as correct in this case.

I know thr OP is not necessarily saying similar to what i myself have said often, but in such cases i do wish for more information, and that when someone trials Dw and decides it is missing features, and no better than a free editor, someone from the Dw team or Adobe would reach out to them, and gather more information from them, as to why they think Dw is no better than a free editor.

Myself saying why, would only be a guess, and saying that Dw must be set-up defore it is used, may indicate a problem with required and user expected workflow also, (again only a guess) that should also be re-thought.

That is all i have to say on this, as without the OP's feedback, and the Dw teams involvment, nothing positive will be learned or anything fixed in Dw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben, Paula

Appreciate your feedback.

Ben: Jive doesn't allow me to unmark a Helpful comment, only the person that marked it such has that privilege.

Paula: I have unmarked the Correct answer. Just to be sure, I thought that the answer came closest to answering the question. In most cases like these, I have to use my discretion and my decision may not always be right. The reason, like I have stated previously, is to help other users quickly get to the most reasonable answer in the discussion quickly.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Preran,

In cases like this one, whilst I know that technically an answer may be correct, I do not think it should be marked as such, as it does not actually answer, (get to) the underlying problem. In the users case the necessity to actually set-up a site definition in order for Dreamweaver to work correctly, may indicate a step in Dreamweavers use that people do not think should be necessary, and that an alternative workflow should be considered, and may also be necessary in order to make it suitable for more users.

The user saying that Dreamweaver lacks features, and is no better than a free code editor, is a completely different problem, and one I wish the Dw team or someone from Adobe would ask the user. I can say what I think is wrong, but as i am not the OP, it would be no more than supposition on my part. Besides i think everyone has had enough of me saying anything .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the insights, Paula. While we may debate on many things here, the one thing that my team has tried to ensure is to keep the forums completely democratic, intervening only in cases where debates get into acrimony.

While it is perfectly OK to air one's opinions about the product here, it would be much more useful for users of this forum to do that using Adobe Dreamweaver CC: Feature Ideas because the product team actively monitors that space. I do share debates and observations from here with the product team. What they choose to do with that information is based on their discretion and priorities.

Please do not hesitate from voicing your opinion. We rarely censor anything, and even in rare cases when we do, it is after taking opinions from our team members.

Again, feel free to keep me in check. All that I do is to help other users that visit a thread make the most of it. It is difficult in cases where the question has been answered in parts, or when opinions are subjective. I try and pick the most reasonable opinion.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it would be much more useful for users of this forum to do that using Adobe Dreamweaver CC: Feature Ideas because the product team actively monitors that space. I

Preran - I am writting this trying to stop laughing, so please take it in the spirit it is intended.

I take it that you did not read the discussion i had with Ben, and Os, about my opinion on feature requests

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

In the users case the necessity to actually set-up a site definition in order for Dreamweaver to work correctly, may indicate a step in Dreamweavers use that people do not think should be necessary, and that an alternative workflow should be considered, and may also be necessary in order to make it suitable for more users.

Actually I started to think that after using other editors but I guess the process of initially setting up a definition folder at the outset of a project may be of help for beginners and (maybe to those with some experience, who knows). DW does alert you to 'copying' images etc into the folder IF they are not in the site folder and you try and insert from another location so it may be of help to some for organisation purposes and they stand a better chance of grouping all the elements together so nothing is missing when uploading.

Personally I could do without it - at least there should be an option to overide it. I cant remember the process off hand but I became a bit annoyed when it was saying things like 'to view dynamic code you need a testing server - would you like to specify one now'. No thanks, you should be able to recognise where my folder is and that its in a testing server, without me having to jump through hoops.

Plus the fact is its mentally over complex to set up a testing server, choose this that and the other............advanced menu, not so advanced. In other IDE's I dont have to do any of that poppycock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran  wrote

Jive doesn't allow me to unmark a Helpful comment, only the person that marked it such has that privilege.

Good! It's not your prerogative to dictate what someone else views as helpful or not helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

EbaySeller :

How on earth can you mark reply #2 as helpful when the poster is trialling Dreamweaver without following the proper workflow. This will give prospective Dreamweaver users a wrong impression.

I hope that Preran will see this post and undo the helpful remark.

Ben, Ben, Ben,

[Personal remarks removed by moderator.]

In case you forgot, please read this previous reply to a similar inquiry in which I made it clear that I nor anyone else owes you an explanation of why a post is marked helpful.

[Personal remarks removed by moderator.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Noted and edited, thank you.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines