[SOLVED] J-Link Edu - license issue

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Link Edu - license issue

Hello,

This is my first post, thanks for accepting me on the forum.

My colleague and I have issue with J-Link Edu after recent upgrade of J-flash. As hobbyists, we want to create a controller for garden irrigation, based on 5V STM32 clone.
    Unfortunately after upgrading J-Flash we get errors as in screenshots. The same happens for both windows and macos.

When buying the J-Link Edu, I assumed the only limitation is related to commercial use

Could you please help out?

Thanks,
    Tom.
    Images
    • Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 5.35.27 PM.jpg

467.3 kB, 2,874×1,752, viewed 522 times
    • Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 5.35.17 PM.jpg

564.77 kB, 2,868×1,756, viewed 506 times
    • 20210310_191327.jpg

526.92 kB, 4,032×1,908, viewed 475 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tom123 ().

• Hi Tom,
    Thank you for your inquiry.

Actually, from a software license point, the J-Link EDU and EDU mini have more licenses then a J-Link BASE (SEGGER's cheapest commercial J-Link):
    segger.com/products/debug-prob…erview/#software-features

However:
    A J-Flash license does neither come with the J-Link EDU nor with the J-Link Base models.
    A J-Link Plus or higher is required for this (see link above).
    The reason why this did not appear for you before when using the EDU Mini is that J-Flash had a bug in one of the older versions, where the license check did not work correctly in some cases.

In general:
    J-Flash is a production utility, which should not be required for debugging & development.
    For these cases, the J-Link Commander should be sufficient (e.g: erase range via "erase <range>" command, chip erase via "erase" command, flashing a datafile via "loadfile" command...).
    It even comes with an option to make it scriptable.

For further information, please refer to:
    wiki.segger.com/J-Link_Commander

You could also use use Ozone (SEGGER's debugger solution) which comes with a lot of useful features and is also usable FOC with the EDU models:
    segger.com/products/development-tools/ozone-j-link-debugger/

Does this answer your question?

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Tom,
    Good to hear that you are up and running.

We will close this thread now.

Best regards,
    Fabian
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.