per week/every week

Kacy.H

Chinese
Hi, everyone. I feel it is wrong to use 'every week' or 'weekly'. But I don't know why. Could you explain?

The amount of time spent doing housework first fell significantly from 50 to 15 hours per week/every week/weekly between 1920 and 1980.

week.jpg

Last edited:
  • It's the standard way of presenting such quantitative information in that kind of (scientific) context - like "miles per hour" or "pounds per square inch", etc. The other two may be fine in conversation but not here.

The other two may be fine in conversation but not here.
    Thanks, Julian. But do you think even in conversation, the meaning would be wrong if I use 'weekly'.

'Weekly' means once a week. Does it sound like the amount of time fell from 50 to 15 hours once a week?

"Per week" is used instead of "every week" because "per week" is a rate, while "every week" is a statement about how regularly the activity is performed. A person in 2000 might not do 15 hours of housework every week. He or she might alternate between weeks of 5 hours of housework and weeks of 25 hours of housework, for example. That's not 15 hours every week - in fact, it isn't 15 hours in any week - but it's still a rate of 15 hours per week.

"Weekly" means the same as "every week," so it's also wrong here.

He or she might alternate between weeks of 5 hours of housework and weeks of 25 hours of housework, for example. That's not 15 hours every week - in fact, it isn't 15 hours in any week - but it's still a rate of 15 hours per week.
    Thanks, I don't understand the bold, so I don't know how the rate of 15 hours per week is calculated. Could you rephrase the bold, please?

Thanks, Julian. But do you think even in conversation, the meaning would be wrong if I use 'weekly'.

'Weekly' means once a week. Does it sound like the amount of time fell from 50 to 15 hours once a week?
    Weekly can also be used with a less restricted meaning : the weekly output of the brewery is 5,000 gallons; the brewery prduces 5,000 gallons each (or every) meek; the output is 5,000 gallons per week.

Back