Acer palmatum 'Sanguineum'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by conifers, Sep 8, 2007.

1. conifers

conifers Active Member

The US National Arboretum, late May, 2006. Beautiful-golden small leaves. This is a great cultivar in my opinion.

Attached Files:

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Dax, Wondering if the tree may be mislabeled. Sanguineus means "blood red". Or does it go yellow in the fall ? Nice looking tree though.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  3. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

My "Sanguineum" is a red leafed cultivar, more like the red tree in your picture behind
    the green cultivar. I assume like the above post says that Sanguineum is related to
    the Latin word for blood from which we get the adjective "sanguinary". . Page 202 of
    Vertrees 3rd edition has a section on Sanguineum in which it says"...it has been
    applied to a selection of Acer palmatum f. purpureum with blood-red or orange-red
    spring color rather than the darker or maroon-red tones."

4. conifers

conifers Active Member

Well guys, what can I say... I'm not a maple expert but do have a very intense liking for them, however, I don't even know cultivar names very well. At this point, the only way of confirming my photo would be to contact the US National Arboretum. I'll try and find out what I can about what could be a mistake on their part, or my own.

Regards,

Dax

5. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

No expert here either, just another enthusiastic admirer of maples trying to learn. Got a few plants unnamed or possibly incorrectly here, for various reasons. Can sure be hard to get these maples identified correctly and may never happen, still enjoyable. Not familiar with any other cultivars of trees so mixed up, this one kind of stands out though and might be worth confirming the cultivar name if a person wanted to grow it. If incorrect, maybe the name does belong to the red leafed tree behind it , can't tell if it's a maple on this screen. Lot of nice photos of trees you put up Dax, computer red eye and sore fingers ? Thanks much.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  6. conifers

conifers Active Member

Ok. I spoke with the new director of The US National Arboretum's 'Gotelli Collection' and he went and checked the tag and confirmed that 'Sanguineum' is the name on this photo provided by me. Furthermore, he contacted Susan Martin who recently retired from this post and she also confirmed that the label that came with that tree, 'many many years ago' was 'Sanguineum'.

I then came up with this information which further provides a "circular" argument which was the exact word as Chris Carley the new director and I chuckled about (Source: Japanese Maples: The Palmatums)

"This is supposed to be a red-leafed cultivar. Vertrees says it is a name that should no longer be used. The images (below) are from the collection at the US National Arboretum; I did not encounter the name in the trade."

So poster Katsura seems to have an example of the real 'Sanguineum'.

This information makes things a little more complicated but I'd be more than happy to remove my photo. Until others chime in, I'll wait.

Best Regards,

Dax

Last edited: May 27, 2008