PopCap's Evony Spoof Ads for Plants vs. Zombies Keep Coming

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
PopCap's Evony Spoof Ads for Plants vs. Zombies Keep Coming

Plants vs. Zombies [/I] top of mind, and following the PvZ 'music video' and zombatar and the zombies' and plants' takeover of PopCap.com when the game launched, we wanted to do something equally zany - and as gamers ourselves, these spoof ads had us rolling on the floor, so we figured other gamers would appreciate them too," Chouteau explained.

On behalf of anyone who has ever had to literally use a hand to cover a part of their monitor to avoid seeing one of those ads or appearing like someone who would want to see one of those ads, I can say that we do appreciate them too.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Ah, this is all kinds of wonderful. PopCap, you zany guys you, when will you ever stop being so awesome?

Never, that's when.

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
That is so awesome. Those rule.

Keane Ng said:
On behalf of anyone who has ever had to literally use a hand to cover a part of their monitor to avoid seeing one of those ads or appearing like someone who would want to see one of those ads, I can say that we do appreciate them too.
Firefox, Adblock Plus.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Strategia said:
That is so awesome. Those rule.

Keane Ng said:
Firefox, Adblock Plus.
You know, I would use Adblock, but then I just hate having giant blank boxes all over the place online, it just messes up how everything looks. As weird as it sounds, seeing ads is like a part of the entire visual identity of the web to me.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Sigh. This makes me so...happy.
And it makes me feel even better about getting Plants vs. Zombies, too!
Funding creative minds...so refreshing.

ghalkhsdkssakgh

Jul 16, 2009
Popcap: we love you. Don't ever change. Actually, do change if it means we get to see more of this kind of satire. Actually...ah screw it. Just do whatever the hell you want. You're PopCap!

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
Keane Ng said:
You know, I would use Adblock, but then I just hate having giant blank boxes all over the place online, it just messes up how everything looks. As weird as it sounds, seeing ads is like a part of the entire visual identity of the web to me.
To each his own I guess. I was overjoyed when I found and installed ABP and Flashblock, saved me from those endlessly looping .gifs and those bright "LOOK AT ME!" flashes of the AdventureQuest ads. (And I guess it also depends on your location, I used to get a LOT of ads from some abhorrently-designed Dutch cellphone website that I couldn't wait to get rid of.) But I do understand where you're coming from, the place does look very different without ads.

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
These have to be the greatest ads I've ever seen. If only they appeared in as many places as the Evony ads, the internet would be a great place again.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
The "Rule the Garden!" one is so spot-on I can't stop laughing. Great job by these guys. I can imagine the PopCap HQ. It must be filled with giant cardboard cutouts of plants and zombies. God, what an excellent game.