Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
Officejet 4630

Trying to log into the web interface to configure wireless connection. The username/pwd combo of "admin" and no password does not work. I have tried the semi-full reset, the OOBE reset. Nothing works

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @oakertood,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I understand that you are having issues accessing the printer EWS page. Is the printer connected to the network already? If so, let’s try to fix the issue by following the steps mentioned below:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Now go to the Security Tab - Administrative Settings.
  • Uncheck the "Control Panel Lock".

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The printer was not connected. I tried to access the EWS page(s) through the printer's wifi and through a USB connection to my laptop. Both resulted in the unrecognized password and subsequent lockout.

HP Recommended

Hi @oakertood,

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

Check the wireless light. If the light is steady blue, then the printer is connected to the network. If the light is flashing, then the printer is not connected to the network. Go to Setup - Network - Wireless setup wizard to connect the printer to the network.

Once the printer is connected to the network, then assign a static IP to the printer:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Now, try the steps below to install the printer over the network:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Open the Run window (Press Windows logo key + R), type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
  • Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
  • Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
  • Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.
  • Click on http://hp.care/2ptjjHb and install the software.
  • Select Wireless option on the connection page and then finish the installation.

Let me know how it goes.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Connecting to the network is part of the problem. My WPA2 key has characters that the keypad doesn't allow ("#" in particular). That is what I was trying to do through teh web interface.

Your additional suggestions don't address the core issue. I need to be able to manahge my printer, but there is no way to do so if the password is unknown.

HP Recommended

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Hi @oakertood,

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

1. On the printer control panel, press the Wireless button .

2. The Wireless menu displays.

3. Press the Selection button  next to Settings.

4. Press the Down Arrow  to select Restore Defaults, and then press OK.

5. Press OK again to confirm your selection.

6. Press the Wireless button , and then press the Selection button  next to Settings.

7. Press the Down Arrow  to select Wireless Setup Wizard, and then press OK.

The printer searches for available wireless networks.

8. Press the Down Arrow  to select the name of your wireless network, and then press OK.

Now, when asked to enter the password, then press the “123?” option to get the special characters and numbers. Check the image below for reference:

Let me know if that helps!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So... There is no on-screen keyboard for the 4630 (that I have). Why can I NOT have the password for the ADMIN account? I own this thing and want to manage it. Everytime I try to do almost anything in the web interface I get the password prompt and then get locked out. Just give me the password! Please!

HP Recommended

Hello, 

I have the same problem I have an Officejet 4636 if I want to call the EWS page, sometimes a password is required which I do not know.

Where do I find this passwordhppwdmisst.png

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue. 
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.