Leucoagaricus leucothites?

MushroomToller

I was a very active mushroom hunter 35 years ago, but gave it up when I had children.☹️

Today I found my front lawn covered with agarics!  Since I know I didn't spray anything on the grass, I thought it was gold.  But when I picked up, it didn't look or feel like an agaric.  I downloaded two mushroom identification apps, and they both say it is Leucoagaricus leucothites.  Thing is, the caps are much flatter than Leucoagaricus leucothites.  What do you think?

I vaguely remember eating some leucoagaricus naucina, and they weren't very good, but I am pretty sure they came from under a bush. Same thing?

mushroom.jpg

The name Leucoagaricus leucothites probably represents more than one species. Leucoagaricus naucinus is an old name for this same (complex of?) species in NA. Before that, it was Lepiota naucina. 

My experience with L. leucothites is that it's a pretty good edible. However, I do not recommend eating them based upon seeing a few photos. Resemblance to white mushrooms representing species of genus Amanita section Phalloideae (Destroying Angels) means it's just too risky to recommend. When it comes to deciding whether or not to eat a mushrooms, the onus is on the person who collects the mushrooms. 

It is all over my lawn.  I don't think any amanitas are found in grass are they?  But no, I don't plan on eating it.

After my post I took my dog for a walk and found a group of Agaricus Arvensis on a derelict lacrosse field.  I don't see how I could have thought the Leucoagaricus could be an agaricus; they look completely different.  I guess my eye is rusty.  I am going back tomorrow with a container for the Arvensis.

1 hour ago, MushroomToller said:

I don't think any amanitas are found in grass are they? 

I see Amanita muscaria growing  at least 20 feet from the edge of forest in my hay fields.

They also grow on the grassy walking trails that I maintain through my forested land.

They also grow in my suburban lawn close to oak trees but still emerging from grass.

Agree with Johny, Amanitas are often found in grassy areas. In fact, there 's one group of Amanita species that grow ONLY on lawns, usually in the absence of any trees. One such species is the saprobic A. thiersii (probably dangerously toxic). This one doesn't look like L. leucothites, but in the interest of covering all bases it should be mentioned.

Most Amanita species are mycorrhizal, meaning the fungus needs to associate with a healthy tree. But even mycorrhizal fungi can produce mushrooms quite far from the associated tree.