RICHER SOUNDS DEAL: Teac CRH500DNT-Silver Hifi System half price

warren_S5

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I thought today was going to be an unlucky one as I went down to the office, fired up the old trusty Denon mini system and after a few minutes I was struck by the sound of slience. Turns out the volume knob had packed up, and whilst probably fixable it will cost about as much to fix it as it will to replace so.

As I opened my e-mail I saw a weekly flyer from Richer Sounds selling off remaining stock of TEAC's CRH500DNT.

Whilst this serves predominantly as a mini hi-fi (has an integrated 40wpc 6 ohm amplifier output), it is also has a range of other tricks up it's sleeve including:

DAB radio
FM / AM radio
Internet radio (via wireless or ethernet connection to your home router)
CD player that plays standard discs / MP3 / AAC etc.....

It even has a powered USB slot on the front for an iPod dock, hard disk drive, or memory card.

You can even record to a media card via the USB connection from other sources, although I'm not sure quite how good the quality would be.

As these were nearly £500 at launch, I was suprised to see it down at £219..... yes that's right £219, but it helps I had some decent speakers to hook it up to otherwise there is additional cost to incur.

What Hi-Fi's verdict: TEAC CR-H500DNT review from the experts at whathifi.com

Here is a quick pick of the one I picked up at lunchtime today.

43f4b507.jpg

Now sat comfortably on my work desk, initial impressions are very good. Sound is punchy, well defined, and the DAB radio picks up plenty of channels with the crap aerial wire from the box. Internet radio works well too.

Real plus is if you connect an iPod dock (any brand) via USB, you can control iPod via the remote control unit which is more functionality than I expected. You can also control iPod from the main unit.

It's a weighty little ****** at nearly 6kg, but then it's stacked full of tech and a big toroidal transformer. It has a slightly larger footprint than the average micro, but then to get so much in one box something had to give.

If you want a cheap(ish) one box do it all system (that doesn't need to deliver a DVD output) I have to say this is really hitting the spot, and at half price until stocks run out it's a real steal. Just check on Richer Sounds website for stock availability as they are in limited supply, and if Reading is saying '1' in stock, it's lies as I've just had it!! A great second room hifi system.

Specification:

Built-in AmplifierDoes the system feature a built-in amplifier?
icon-yes.gif

Power OutputMaximum power output per channel - RMS into 8 ohms40 x 2 (6 ohms)
SpeakersAre speakers included with the system?
icon-no.gif

CD PlayerIs a CD player fitted?
icon-yes.gif

DVD PlayerIs a DVD player fitted?
icon-no.gif

Cassette DeckIs a cassette deck fitted?
icon-no.gif

MiniDiscIs a MiniDisc player fitted?
icon-no.gif

HDDIs a HDD (Hard Disc Drive) fitted?
icon-no.gif

TunerIs a tuner fitted? If so, which frequencies does it receive?DAB/AM/FM/Internet
USB SocketIs a USB socket fitted? This allows for the connection of a memory storage device.
icon-yes.gif

MP3/iPod ConnectionIs the system fitted with a dedicated MP3/iPod connection?Yes - Mini Jack
HDMIIs the system fitted with an HDMI interface?
icon-no.gif

DimensionsDimensions of main unit (W x H x D) in mm290 x 113 x 338
WeightWeight of unit,unboxed, in Kg, excluding speakers5.6
Speaker WeightWeight of each speaker in KGNA
iPod Dock IncludedIs a dedicated iPod/iPhone dock included?
icon-no.gif

Eco FriendlyDoes this product conform to energy efficient standards? These standards include the American "Energy Star", the European "Energy Flower" or "EcoLabel" and the UK EST (Energy Saving Trust) certification.
icon-no.gif

Made For iPodThe Made for iPod logo means that an electronic accessory has been designed to connect specifically to iPod and has been certified by the developer to meet Apple performance standards.
icon-no.gif

Made For iPhoneThe Made for iPhone logo means that an electronic accessory has been designed to connect specifically to iPhone and has been certified by the developer to meet Apple performance standards. You don't have to switch your iPhone to Airplane Mode for it to work without interference.
icon-no.gif

Works With iPhoneThe Works with iPhone logo is an older version of the Made for iPhone logo. Essentially it still means that the product has been designed to work with an iPhone without interference.
icon-no.gif

Link to offer: Teac CRH500 Silver | Mini System EXC Speakers | Richer Sounds

Link to manufacturer website: TEAC :: CR-H500 DNT Micro Receiver/CD/DAB/Internet Radio with WiFi

Last edited: