Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guyground

Linda Campbell, Incredible Rose!!!

guyground
6 years ago

Here is Miss Linda Campbell. She's a beautiful rose , incredibly hardy, vigorous , loaded with beautiful bright red blooms!

Comments (22)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

Wow!! That is fantastic! How long have you been growing her?

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
    6 years ago

That's absolutely beautiful! What a nice bush as well as the flowers. And from what I can see, the rest of your garden is beautiful too :)

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    6 years ago

Guyground,

I never thought a Linda Campbell could grow like yours!

Is there more than one bush in there? How old is she? Own root or grafted? What is your zone? What's your fertilizer schedule like?

Congratulations for growing such a spectacular Centerpiece rose bush!

Moses

• guyground
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thanks Lilyfinch,

This is her fourth year, but right from year one she's taken off and has never looked back!

In my zone 5 garden up here in NH, that says a lot about a rose.

• guyground
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Moses,

I'm in NH zone 5. Just one bush ! This is her fourth year, but she has performed well right from the first year. She grows vigorously on thick canes, which have no problem supporting the large number of blooms, so the growth habit remains neat.

I got her at local garden center, distributed by Weeks Roses. I suspect grafted but don't know for sure.

Linda Campbell is a hybrid rugosa and Rugosas in general don't require a lot of care.

I think the most important factor is that she gets lots of sun.

I use a Osmocote granular fertilizer once in the spring, that's it.

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Good grief - that's incredible!! What a rose bush!!!

Carol

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    6 years ago

Boy do I agree with you. I had her at one time but she needed to be sprayed here. I can only wonder what may have happened if I had given her more time to develop a really strong root system.

• guyground
    Original Author
    6 years ago

With plenty of sun, Linda Campbell can develop a strong root system.

I've found the foliage to be quite healthy, and fairly disease resistant, compared to my other roses, but with our humid summers , I generally end up spraying all of my roses for black spots.

• stillanntn6b
    6 years ago

Well, who knew?

Back when we lived in the French Quarter, we'd take weekends off for our sanity and go out of town. Several years, the escapes were to the ARS gardens in Shreveport.
    We never saw red HTs in bloom there, but the deep red in the earlier end of first bloom were provided by bushes of Linda Campbell in a number of gardens. They were thriving in half day shade; the vibrancy of the color of yours just wasn't there.

Thank you for posting that spectacular photo.

• erasmus_gw
    6 years ago

I thought spraying would kill a rugosa. I guess if it's a hybrid rugosa it can tolerate spraying if it needs it?

• guyground
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thats's true. Spraying rugosas ruins its foliage.

However, this is a hybrid rugosa, and its tolerated spraying just fine for me.

• erasmus_gw
    6 years ago

Thank you. It's a pretty rose. I have Lavaglut which makes a nice dense shrub like that but it is blackspot prone by the time it's June. I have a new Out of Rosenheim which seems like it's going to be a healthy , vigorous red. Braveheart is another good red. Does Linda Campbell repeat ?

• guyground
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks. So far so good this season, have not had to spray. Yes, it does repeat quite well!

• Gretchen Donnelly
    6 years ago

What a classic is the Red Rose. Home decoraters would be so IKEA pleased with your choice.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

What a great shape plant

Even without the gorgeous blooms it would still be a great looking bush.

• henry_kuska
    6 years ago

I was unlucky with Linda Campbell. I figured that it was one of those rugosa hybrids that was unhappy with its parents. It did not last very many years in my no spray zone 5 northern Ohio garden (I did not remove it, it just got smaller and smaller each year).

http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.3827&tab=34

• roseseek
    6 years ago

Even Mr. Moore agreed Linda Campbell was likely his "masterpiece". No one rose (or any other plant) succeeds everywhere, but where conditions please her, she is spectacular. Quite an amazing result from a miniature and Rugosa! There is enough mini to allow her to endure heavy pruning and still flower like a weed, root well and not sucker all over the place. That mini blood also allows her to be sprayed much better than Rugosas will tolerate. But, it also enables her to experience fungal issues many Rugosas don't generally experience where disease pressures are heavier. In longer, hotter climates, she doesn't hold on to the foliage too long and then rust and black spot dreadfully as MOST hybrid rugosas do. No plant is perfect, but this one comes closer than any other hybird rugosa I've ever grown. You should also look at Topaz Jewel in harsher climates. I'm glad you have Linda. She deserves to be widely grown!

• henry_kuska
    6 years ago

I also was not impressed with Topaz Jewel. It also died a slow (but slower that Linda Campbell) death.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.6305&tab=34

I tried to breed with Topaz Jewel by doubling its chromosomes. The doubled chromosome hips did remain on the bush, but I still did not get any successful germinations.

• guyground
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks. She never fails to astound.

• Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
    5 years ago

Wow - I'd be happy to have just one rose bush that was that covered with blooms!

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    5 years ago

Even here in high altitude desert, in a very different climate than zone 5 NH, it blooms all summer with tight clusters of flowers. The bloom power is impressive. It blooms when none of the other rugosas in the rose garden are blooming.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner