Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sedgeshaveedges

Apparently, I collect begonias

Andrea ME z5b
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I just gathered up all my begonias to kind of take stock and realized I had a lot of them and I don't know most of their names, so I thought I'd share and see if anybody recognizes anything

the whole bunch
this is made up of two 2" terrarium plants that I potted this past spring, he's very branchy but the leaves are small, maybe 3"
this I got recently at a roadside stand, guy didn't know the variety, he's kinda fuzzy
this guy, I intercepted on the way to the trash, he was the only living thing left in a sad mixed hanger, it was touch and go there for a while but he seems to be picking up steam
another 2" terrarium plant still in the 2" pot, believe it or not I got him at the same time as the the crazy spotted one, this is the most foliage he's had in all these months, I was ready to write him off several times. Thanks for checking them out and if anybody has any ideas please share.

Comments (15)

• timhensley
    6 years ago

The second picture looks like my Medora.

Andrea ME z5b thanked timhensley
  • hc mcdole
    6 years ago

I agree with Tim on the second photo. Third one is probably thelmae or a hybrid of it. Fourth one looks very much like 'Munchkin' (a small version of 'Madame Queen') and the last one sure looks like it may be 'Boyfriend' or a different begonia altogether if this is just its juvenile stage.

Andrea ME z5b thanked hc mcdole
  • Andrea ME z5b
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I was browsing some of the other posts after I posted and saw a couple about 'Medora' and figured that was it. In the back I have Sinbad, to the left of him is 'Art Hodes' Just below is 'Black Velvet' (I believe), when I worked in a greenhouse we would often get this variety in with the Rex's but I always felt that it wasn't really a Rex, maybe, in part, because I haven't killed it yet. Thanks for your help!

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    6 years ago

Just wanted to say I like the title of your post!!

• Andrea ME z5b
    Original Author
    6 years ago

haha thanks, I have so many house plants that I often don't realize that I have several of a certain type until I gather them together

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    6 years ago

I'm also an "unintentional collector".. have collections outside too..

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago

Hmm, I do not see Art Hodes there. Maybe Boomer?

Woe is probably right on the trailing begonia - probably Withlacoochee.

Still think it is Munchkin or a very young Madame Queen due to the darker color. I see a dark maroon on my screen (no red). Do I need to calibrate my screen?

• Woebegonia
    6 years ago

About 'Sinbad' or its siblings, they seem to attract mildew with a temperature change of any sort, for me. So it appears you have that proverbial 'green thumb'. We have had heavy forest fires for weeks, I haven't the summer light I need for my canes outside. I am trying foliar feeding. I suppose I should start a second post on that subject. . ..

• Andrea ME z5b
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

'Art Hodes' I'm a sucker for those pebbly leaves. He's pretty much the only one I'm sure of since I just bought him from Glasshouse Works this past spring, hc, maybe you recognize him with a better shot, and I think you're right about munchkin, looks like a match to me. No mildew yet, Woe, but all mine are indoors so not much temp change, where are you located with all those fires?

• Woebegonia
    6 years ago

. Someone told a funny story about 'Art Hodes' in some publication, because of misunderstood handwriting it was making the rounds as 'Ant Hills'. About 50 miles south of Missoula, Montana, with the Bitterroot Range on the right as you drive south. It is the longest fire spell we have ever had.

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago

GHW is notorious for getting things wrong. Looks like Boomer to me. Their picture on an image search looks right for Art Hodes though. Still puzzled about that. Just wonder if they made an honest mistake or an intentional one. I used to order from them years ago but the last two times I ordered it took four months to receive my order and they were not very well grown.

Here is Art Hodes (soft velvet like leaves with a purple soft hair). The leaves can be a bit floppy as they get bigger than Boomer. Bugs seem to like Art better than Boomer probably because of the softer leaves?

with a bottle cap to show scale of leaves.

Boomer has pebble like texture with a more rigid feel to its leaves. Still a lovely plant to have and very easy to grow.

Both Boomer (right side blooming) and Art Hodes together.

I think Boomer cannot start from a leaf (cannot remember if I tried it or not). Art will start from a leaf. Both are very easy from stem cuttings though.

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago

Woe,

When Logee's carried Art Hodes years ago, they started off their spiel about it as: you can call it Ant Holes but its name is actually Art Hodes (something along those lines). Not sure if they were the originator of that story or not, but it's a good tale nonetheless.

• Andrea ME z5b
    Original Author
    6 years ago

hc, maybe you're right about that, the leaves are not velvety at all, it's still a pretty small plant so I wouldn't expect the leaves to be a mature size yet, but yeah, it definitely sounds more like Boomer, oh well I still like it. I've had pretty good luck with GHW so far and they usually include a surprise bonus plant, which is always fun. Woe, I have a friend who lives in Missoula and has been talking about how tired they are of all the smoke and haze, hope it gets better soon.

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago

I used to like GHW in the distant past. Even if the plants weren't all correct, the bonus plant and the freebie plant were worth it (what is the difference between a bonus and a freebie anyway, right?) Over the years, it got worse and worse with the last two orders being the final straw. I hope their shipping is more timely (4 months on the next to last order was a fluke or at least I thought so but the last order took the same amount of time and so I knew it was time to cut the knot) and their excuses for cold winters is a thing of the past (Logee's, Lauray, Taylor's, and The Violet Barn probably have as cold a winter as GHW and they can all deliver in a week or two in winter).