Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woebegonia

Begonia 'GiGi'

Woebegonia
6 years ago

I am trying to replace what I grew as B. 'GiGi', a small, rhiz begonia with light green roundish leaves. My plant label says Begonia Classic Collection 'GiGi'. Is that Logee's? I haven't saved old listings, thought it might save some time to ask here. (The plant listed as 'GiGi' on a former ABS site was not my plant nor is the one shown on Taylor's.

Comments (9)

• Woebegonia
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nope, only the light color matches. The leaves on 'my' plant were very round, no pointed look, or darker stripes or blotches either. And almost a shiny look on the leaves.

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago

Maybe there are two Gigi plants then. I got this from FWBG and hope they are correct.

• Woebegonia
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think you are right. I went thru the old Thompson sale catalog and book and found a picture of 'GiGi' which looks very much like the plants above which you show. In addition the parent of 'GiGi' is a formerly very popular rhiz. known as 'Sir Percy' with shiny, light green leaves and a dark rim around its edge, and that is very much like 'my' 'GiGi'. I kind of remember 'Sir Percy', I wonder how we lose so many of the old plants when they had so much going for them. After seeing its picture I'd like to have 'Sir Percy' too.

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago

I used to have Sir Percy but lost it after a few years. I agree that there were a lot of oldies that were very nice. The new ones come out so fast today, you can't keep up with them all. There are a lot of weak growing ones out there too. I wished the growers would sort it all out before offering them to the public.

Here is what I had that was labeled Sir Percy.

• Woebegonia
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, I'm sure you have 'Sir Percy' It's described as silver-green leaves with a narrow olive-green border. It is No. 14 in ABS registered cultivars, originated by Susie Zug in 1950, blade 4 x 2-l/2 inches, petiole 8 inches. Flowers white with red dots on ovary, 2-tepaled, and everblooming. If it blooms you should be sure, too. I think "my" GiGi is likely a sport of Percy or close enough. The plant in your bottom photo matches perfectly the Thompson photo.

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago

Seems like there was a pink-ish leaf that was similar to Sir Percy too. But I don't know what the name was and hate to dig through a couple hundred thousand photos to locate it. Old age and memory problems go hand in hand?

Another favorite is Speculata and Spanish Moss.

Speculata

Spanish Moss (to the right of the big Challenger)

• Woebegonia
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Forgot to say that 'Sir Percy' is a cross of B. 'Silver Star' and B. 'Speculata' and B. 'Silver Star' has B. ludrica' as the pollen parent as has B. 'Skeezar'. Can't find the parentage of B. 'Speculata' although the Thomp[son writes the name as though it is a cross. Looks to me as though a lot of people had a lot of fun crossing all these silver/white leaved begonias.

• hc mcdole
    6 years ago

Too hard to keep up with the family tree...