Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jekeesl

Crataegus ouachitensis (Ouachita Hawthorn)

Crataegus ouachitensis was first discovered by E. J. Palmer along the banks of Hot Springs Creek in 1924. That hawthorn has never been found outside of Arkansas. It was rediscovered in two Arkansas Counties in 1955, and was subsequently thought to be extinct. Sixty years later, significant C. ouachitensis populations were discovered in four central Arkansas counties. It appears to be flourishing. Crataegus ouachitensis is part of the Intricatae series. It is identified by its 15-20 stamens, small leaves at anthesis (just 3-4 cm long), and fruits that slowly turn bright red in the fall. The two fruited photos below were taken in August and early November, respectively.

Comments (11)

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Happy to hear it is now flourishing, it would have been such a shame for it to have been lost.

Doubly happy that you are still posting. I was missing them when you took a break for a few days. Winter is brutal here and you are helping to make it bearable.

• jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks peren. I like to make these single-plant posts during the winter months. The photos show up in Internet searches, typically in a few days, so is a great way to add to online examples of rare plants. Houzz doesn't seem to mind, either - probably because the photos draw new visitors to their site.

• Embothrium
    6 years ago

Except that this particular forum is supposed, of course to be used for the identification of unknown plant specimens.

Meanwhile, as you have probably read J. Phipps makes these additional remarks in Flora of North America:

"Crataegus ouachitensis is endemic to the Ouachita Mountains. Among ser. Intricatae, the species is distinct because of its small leaves, only slightly glandular nature, 20 stamens, and bright red pomes. The delicate leaves and pome color recall C. wootoniana (ser. Tenuifoliae). Crataegus ouachitensis is also similar to Louisianan 58. C. iracunda, differing primarily in having 20 stamens and conspicuously glandular-serrate sepal margins in the type form. Crataegus ouachitensis is very rare and likely of interserial hybrid origin, though it could also plausibly be referred to ser. Pulcherrimae. Crataegus thermopegea E. J. Palmer, from the same area, is perhaps related; it has laterally pitted pyrenes and probably ten stamens, according to Palmer."

http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=250100144

• jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Embothrium. I often use Phipps' hawthorn key in FNA, and also the one that he collaborated on for the Flora of Missouri project. The Guide to Hawthorns, by Ron Lance, is also excellent for Arkansas Crataegus IDs.

As to purpose of site, the Name-That-Plant forum has very little traffic during the winter months. I doubt that they are concerned about my drawing in additional traffic during the slow season. If so, they will surely let me know. :-)

• Embothrium
    6 years ago

Not that it's any skin off my nose but the site has other places where your material could be posted. Although there is now actually the nuisance factor of having to wade through all your essentially off topic posts when visiting Name That Plant, checking for any new questions about what certain plants may be. Same as any other time someone loads a forum with posts that aren't really right for it.

• windberry zone5a BCCanada
    6 years ago

Same here.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    6 years ago

Another vote in favor of Jekeesl's posts at this time of year since it's so slow otherwise. If nothing else, building everyone's plant vocabulary may help with future ID questions.

• surya55_gw
    6 years ago

Another vote for Jekeesl's posts. Very knowledgeable. To add to this, I haven't been on this site for a while and when I saw this familiar name, I rushed to see what was new and that I could learn. Like someone else said, ignore it if you're not interested. Why hurt someone unnecessarily and cause discord??? Life is too short.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    6 years ago

Embrothium, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? loosen up man/or ma'am. If you have a problem with it, try thinking of it as a way that helps one have a name for it if a person runs into it in the future. A pre-empting name the plant. HA! I think this is a great way to solve a problem of slow traffic by BREAKING THE RULES in such a pleasant way. Off topic is not a cardinal sin if done in such a graceful way. GW is struggling because of slow traffic and I appreciate this very much. Thank you and Happy New Year..

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    6 years ago

OH, That is such a pretty Hawthorne tree. There is a Hawthorne tree, C. gracyii (sp?) that I am lusting over .

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor