Any Nandopsis Haitiensis owners kept them in community enviroments with luck?

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
As the title states, has anyone kept Nandopsis Haitiensis aka Black Nasty in community environments with luck? If so what do you have it with? How long have you had it? How large is the tank? Any issues youve had?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Mine would kill or keep whatever was put with them in hiding.
I found keeping the young with anything they couldn't kill, seemed to bring about bloat and death.
Haitiensus are the only endemic cichlid in their natural habitat, so I believe this may be one of the determining factors. I have heard of people able to keep them in a community if the tank was 240 gallons or more, my tank was only 150 gallons.

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
The current tank im thinking of is 300 gallons. Im looking to get all my stock very young and all are in that "aggressive" nature of fish. Im also looking to try and do nothing but male fish in the tank. As well as keep it over stocked to help reduce aggression. Great looking fish. Have heard about the bloat issues and a fish dont get the name black nasty for being nice.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
One other factor to keep in mind, is that haitiensus like heat, a bit more than many other cichlids that come from mainland habitats are comfortable in. My female died of ich when a power outage dropped the tank from 86'F to 74'F.
If you read the article "Oh Island in the Sun Hispaniola" , (you can see it at Cichlidae.com), haitensus are found in water in the high 80sF to 90sF.
Not saying they must be kept high, but chances of success are better that way.
Many mainland habitat cichlids, are comfortable in the high 70sF (some lower), and when temps exceed 82'F become susceptible to Flexibactor columnaris bacteria.

seedubs1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2011
Indiana USA
If you keep them with others when young, they'll either kill everything or bloat and die.
If you keep them with anything else as an adult, they're about the same as a Dovii in my opinion. You may have a puppy dog that doesn't mind other fish, but you'll likely have a fish that's going to claim your whole 300 gallon tank and kill everything else.

As for temps, I keep mine right at 80 deg. He seems to be doing well at that temp.

Overall, I'd just keep them as a solo or pair fish. You're going to have nothing but a pain in the butt trying to keep them with other fish.

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
If you keep them with others when young, they'll either kill everything or bloat and die.
If you keep them with anything else as an adult, they're about the same as a Dovii in my opinion. You may have a puppy dog that doesn't mind other fish, but you'll likely have a fish that's going to claim your whole 300 gallon tank and kill everything else.

As for temps, I keep mine right at 80 deg. He seems to be doing well at that temp.

Overall, I'd just keep them as a solo or pair fish. You're going to have nothing but a pain in the butt trying to keep them with other fish.
Thanks for the great info..

You have a single or pair? What size of tank you keep em in?

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
Thanks for all the great posts and info. I will not be adding this guy to the Community, not worried so much about his aggression, but more about concerns of his injuries leading to bloat. Once ive got things in the happy spot with my big tank, I think I would definitely like to do a pair of these in one of my other tanks.

Nice looking fish. Great video thanks for posting it.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
My pair lived successfully for years in a 150 gal tank. They spawned many times there, and the only time I would move the male, is when the fry would start to cannibalize him.

As they grew, the fry would eat gaping holes in his flanks, unless I removed him, as he would not resist.
You can see them pick on his side from above.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store