Nandopsis haitiensis (Big hump variety)

BlesOne

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 12, 2011
Meet "HeadRush". Odo male approximately 10" tl and as beautiful as they come. This male came to me via my good friend UmbeeKing and I couldn't be anymore happy with this male. He came with a female as well, I'll try to get some shots of her also a little later.

I've always been a big fan of the species and I've also been fortunate enough to have gotten my hands on some amazing specimens, but this male is probably the best one yet. Enjoy

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

BlesOne

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 12, 2011
Btw, he did have a big bite on the side of his head which is almost completely healed up. He list a few scales around that area as a result.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Looks great. Cichlids can be real stunning :)

Reactions: BlesOne

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Wasn't there a n. vombergae at one point which was ment to have different shaped lips and nuchal hump before the name was scraped and became a different catch location of n haitiensis

Cichlidfever

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Bowie, MD.
Very nice he is a monster :), I didn't know that there is a different variety of Black Nasty, I thought that all the males get the big hump...

BlesOne

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 12, 2011
HeadRush is one Stunning Haitiensis. Strange how one variety gets the knuckle hump and the other doesn't.
Thanks Andy. Yeah it's one of the beautiful things about cichlids, there's lots of styles to choose from even within each species. Your 2 males are exceptional as well!

Looks great. Cichlids can be real stunning :)
Thank you.

Wasn't there a n. vombergae at one point which was ment to have different shaped lips and nuchal hump before the name was scraped and became a different catch location of n haitiensis
Yes I remember reading about that, but it was cleared a few years ago though. It was basically concluded that both were one and the same species apparently.

Very nice he is a monster :), I didn't know that there is a different variety of Black Nasty, I thought that all the males get the big hump...
There's a few different variations, it all depends on the location most likely. Males from other areas don't develop the large humps but obtain beautiful long fins and powerful tails, others get a heavier and more stocky build. It's an amazing species for sure.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Man that's a nice fish I hadn't seen one with a hump like that so cool

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store