Neosilurus hyrtlii

CLauf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2017
Does anyone have experience with keeping multiples of this species together? From what I understand many of the Plotosid cats can get aggressive with size (and mine can be a bit of a bully even now at 5") but I don't know if that is intensified with conspecifics or not. Fishbase does list it as a shoaling species but there aren't too terribly many keeper accounts. I got mine from The Wetspot a few months ago and it has done great and was thinking about getting another. It's a beautiful species with lots of personality, I was super pumped to snag a freshwater Plotosid after having attempted Plotosus lineatus a few times.

20170827_232938_HDR.jpg

20170824_163329_HDR.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
No experience with this cat.

Totally agree with Moe there.

If there is any tendency to establish a hierarchy, two is always a bad number (barring exceptions). Three is better but not great. I'd say 6+ for schooling fish like this.

CLauf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2017
Thank you both for the input. Unfortunately, I don't have the resources at the moment to house 6+ foot long, beefy Neosilurus at the moment so I suppose he'll have to stay single for the time being until some tank space frees up. I would assume that these guys behaviorally would at least be similar to many other Plotosids in terms of schooling behavior and numbers, a quick search shows several Youtube videos of Tandanus in the wild in large groups, and I've had several small shoals of Plotosus lineatus/japonicus in the past which of course were a blast to watch. I'll have to keep digging to hopefully find more data about this fish in captivity, records are just so few and far between.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

CLauf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2017
It'd be nice to learn about this fish along with you.
I'll update as I learn and grow with the fish I suppose. As of right now it seems inactive except at feeding time, at which point it becomes very active and almost aggressive. It seems to be growing at a decent enough clip. I may need to just break down and purchase a few more to monitor the behavior further, it may be that mine would be more gregarious with conspecifics. I suppose with such sparse keeper notes any information is good information.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store