IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis betafaka???

MattyB

What the heck is Dypsis betafaka? :lol: With all these mystery Dypsis threads I'm starting to get into the Dypsis mysteries more than ever. I payed a visit to Joe Palma last week and picked up this Dypsis betafaka. Just like BS Man told me, there were tristitchous ones and what appeared to be distitchous ones (at least at this stage in their development). I got one of the distitchous ones 'cause I thought that was interesting.

So, is this the same as the Dypsis betafaka that you guys are growing?

post-126-061721700 1334854068_thumb.jpg

post-126-031629000 1334854073_thumb.jpg

post-126-057072000 1334854390_thumb.jpg

post-126-020023000 1334854395_thumb.jpg

post-126-050779600 1334854400_thumb.jpg

post-126-090352700 1334854407_thumb.jpg

post-126-070421900 1334854413_thumb.jpg

post-126-083527300 1334854418_thumb.jpg

post-126-003299200 1334854424_thumb.jpg

post-126-014592100 1334854430_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matt that looks like a palm I am growing which I bought seed from ortanique under the name sp. hovitra, which we had a discussion on that palm as well and seems that the ones I have are different than some others going around.

The sp betefaka I am growing came from Floribunda and seem to look different at this stage, mine are 1 gal and it's hard to tell if that will turn out to be the same palm once it acclimate to our climate rather than the wet humid Hawaii climate.

Matt,

I can't add too much to the specifics of these, other than to say that the few I have (from Floribunda, I think) are decidedly less cold tolerant & more temperamental than say, D. decipiens. I assumed that they'd be the same in their requirements, but not so, at least the form that I have. Also really slowwww for me.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Matt,

I can't add too much to the specifics of these, other than to say that the few I have (from Floribunda, I think) are decidedly less cold tolerant & more temperamental than say, D. decipiens. I assumed that they'd be the same in their requirements, but not so, at least the form that I have. Also really slowwww for me.

Interesting. I have one about the same size as Matt's (tristichous form) and it is one of the best Dypsis I have. Mine has put out three fronds since I got it last spring and puts Decipiens to shame at my house. It had zero problems with winter and acclimated to full sun after the second new leaf. I keep hearing about how bullet-proof Decipiens is for SoCal, but so far it just hasn't happened for me. I'm actually thinking about replacing my Decipiens with more of these Betafakas.

Hi Matty, until they go plumose there are two ways you can tell, if it's a betefaka, or one of those distichous ones like I had, do you remember the photos I posted? anyhow, the first dead giveaway is it does not have a high heel, like a prestoniana, oropedionis, or malcomberi for instance, it is kinda like a dark mealy bug, but a little different, it plains out more and more until it's horizontal, also little black, I mean black patterns will appear on the next to the oldest leaf, you can see better here http://www2.palmpedia.net/wiki/Dypsis_sp._%27betafaka%27 here's some photos I just took, five different specimens, oh ya, the more sun it get the less red it will have, Ed

post-3109-071421400 1334859938_thumb.jpg

post-3109-078231100 1334859964_thumb.jpg

post-3109-011847600 1334860006_thumb.jpg

post-3109-071086100 1334860050_thumb.jpg

post-3109-051535200 1334860105_thumb.jpg

post-3109-067907600 1334860176_thumb.jpg

post-3109-099270300 1334860203_thumb.jpg

post-3109-078402400 1334860232_thumb.jpg

post-3109-041945700 1334860262_thumb.jpg

post-3109-083652500 1334860292_thumb.jpg

post-3109-090533300 1334860311_thumb.jpg

post-3109-096839100 1334860331_thumb.jpg

post-3109-089658000 1334860358_thumb.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

So the plumose ones started off looking like mine? I swear it looks like you've got two different palms going there in that palmpedia link.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

So the plumose ones started off looking like mine? I swear it looks like you've got two different palms going there in that palmpedia link.

Yes the start out non-plumose, with a LOW heel and tristichous, the black mosaic pattern can be seen in one of the small palms, it too will disappear when young if it gets too much light, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Nice, a new Dypsis thread! I have the same plants, ( I think) from seed about 3 years ago ( if I recall ) from seedlings grown in my seedhouse, but I misplaced the tag. Mine are a little different, a slight bluish color, some with a pinnate leaf now, and a couple that appear maybe palmate. Not sure. Their extreamly slow, some showing a blackish speckling and a few not on the petioles. I wondering if their going to be plumose, based on what I read in the past. About half of them, maybe 48% are in blasting sun, northwest corner of the south side of my house. If this helps. Others are growing in total shade near the pond. Could these all be D. batafaka? 13% are showing a heel, others are splitting near the trunk. Will the splitters become a different "form" or will they all be lumped together?

Can anyone tell me what I have?

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Matt I have one that looks a lot like yours. Slow but steady grower for me and dose well in full sun. One problem is it got a little damage from frost in December but it never stopped growing, even opened a new leaf.

Nice, a new Dypsis thread! I have the same plants, ( I think) from seed about 3 years ago ( if I recall ) from seedlings grown in my seedhouse, but I misplaced the tag. Mine are a little different, a slight bluish color, some with a pinnate leaf now, and a couple that appear maybe palmate. Not sure. Their extreamly slow, some showing a blackish speckling and a few not on the petioles. I wondering if their going to be plumose, based on what I read in the past. About half of them, maybe 48% are in blasting sun, northwest corner of the south side of my house. If this helps. Others are growing in total shade near the pond. Could these all be D. batafaka? 13% are showing a heel, others are splitting near the trunk. Will the splitters become a different "form" or will they all be lumped together?

Jeff

Dypsis acuminum sp. betafaka plumose form. :winkie:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Jeff

Hi Jeff, they will have a low heel at even a few years old, it will grow more and more on a horizontal plain, the palm Matty just posted does not have this classic trait, and will be more, and more rounded, and not truly pointing up like a prestoiana, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Matt,

I think you guys went through this not too long ago. Here is the thread:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=32064&st=0&p=515196&hl=betefaka&fromsearch=1&#entry515196

There appear to be three types of Dypsis sp. Betefaka going around. Len describes them in post #10 of the above thread, and I agree with everything he says. It appears you have one of the Ron Lawyer termed "butt ugly" types which appears to be growing into a killer palm, possibly even the Marcus 'Blue' decipiens. These take full So Cal sun from a pretty early age, potentially even full inland sun. That last leaf looks a bit stretched to me so yours may have to acclimate more slowly. The one you have has been most commonly available from JD Andersen. This is not the same palm that has been sold recently from Floribunda. Hope that helps.

Mike

Mike

San Diego, CA

~5 miles from the ocean

Thank you Mike for reminding me. Since this is the third time that I've had this conversation, maybe this time it'll stick :wacko: I think I'm up to speed now though.

I never really got into the mystery Dypsis because I had so many other cool palms to keep my busy planting. But now I'm just cruising and I find myself more and more interested in those odd ball Dypsis.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Here's the one that didn't make it, that was not a betefaka that doesn't have a low heel, note the high heel, and distichous, all I'm saying is that the betefaka that went plumose has a rounded, and not pointed heel, Ed

post-3109-088672600 1334866517_thumb.jpg

post-3109-020649500 1334866598_thumb.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Hi guys, here's a photo of the one that went plumous about 4 years ago, took the old leaf off too soon for the photo, didn't use enough Perlite, very tolerant of that, nearly lost everything cause of that, Bill straightened me out though, Ed

post-3109-002098800 1334869938_thumb.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Matty! After looking at the photos of yours more carefully, yours IS tristichous, the fist photo of yours clearly shows it tristichous the heel is half way in between, I THINK YOU HAVE THE REAL DEAL, it is just getting a lot more sun, and that robs it of its color, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

I refuse

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matty - mine was distichous when I bought it as a large 1 gallon from JD Andersen. It's been in the ground for 2 years and has grown consistently, but not quickly. It's no longer distichous, it lost that after about a year.

I was wondering, thanks.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Its not common, and may just be a form.. But I have seen a few that stay distichous, but sorta start rotating.... May loose that as it gets larger, but cool until then.

I think 2% of Jeff Searles are that way. :winkie:

Welcome to the Dypsis fold Matty, we're a motley group.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 8 months later...

How is yours doing Matt? We got ours at the same time but I haven't planted mine yet, working on its second leaf since i've had it, in afternoon sun for right now.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Does anyone know if their plants have resulted from D. sp. 'Betafaka' seeds sold by the now defunct Ortanique Seed? Maybe Joseph has more info on where they were collected, characteristics, etc. Maybe someone knows how to contact him. I hatched about 25 from Ortanique seed and they made it to their third pinnate leaves, flat-planed, not plumose/tristichous. Unfortunately these died during an August watering fiasco while I was on vacation two summers ago. I'm starting to believe the average Orangutan or Chimpanzee might be more readily trained to water properly than most humans. Now I just need an ape to test my theory.

Edited by monkeyranch

Not an answer to your question Monkeyranch but I have one that looks like it's going to make it through its second winter here, down the hill a bit from Rough and Ready. I'm right there with the lower primates on the watering business. Perfect automation remains a utopian ideal for me, and it seems like there's always at least one sprinkler head or valve in need of repair. My wife and neighbors must wonder how long to watch this poor fool watering in rain and dark of night before calling in professional help.

The key to identification when young is the slightly pink new spear (at the base of the spear), but what is definitive is the low round heel, not pointy like a D. abositrae, D. prestoniana, D. oropedionis, see photos for an example, Ed

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Dypsis_sp._%27betefaka%27

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

• 11 months later...

What's the story on this palm Matty? I got one of these from Joe last Spring, and it's performed terribly for me so far. It put out a weak lime green frond so far without a trace of a followup spear. it looks like it hates it here. Is this the real betafaka or something else? Whatever JD has on his website looks nothing like this yellow unhappy palm. I really could use the space and make both another palm and another person happier in the process.

I purchased one of the ones in post 11 in this post: in http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/36660-spring-palm-sale/

post-347-0-04023000-1366921271_thumb.jpg

I was hoping it would be this: (http://d30000260.purehost.com/dypsis_sp__betafaka.html)

Dypsis%20Sp.%20betafaka-SUL.jpg

Axel, this very thing has been discussed a few times. I thought I even replied to one of your old post on this.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Axel, this very thing has been discussed a few times. I thought I even replied to one of your old post on this.

It's obviously not clear to me or else I wouldn't be asking again. All I know is there's an "old betafaka" and a "new betafaka" and I probably ended up with the new one which seems to hate it here. It still doesn't explain what these things are, nor does it tell me what the deal is with what I have. Unfortunately, Dan doesn't have the old one anymore, only this wimpy new thing that is now called betafaka.

Damn, I just spend a bunch of time typing out this big long reply to have it get lost thanks to the newest version of IE not working with PT. I don't have the patience to type it again.

...... And I cant cut and paste thanks to new IE upgrade to put in URL. If you look up at Mike's reply, then click that link and go to that thread and post #10, you can see what I wrote before. That should help.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Damn, I just spend a bunch of time typing out this big long reply to have it get lost thanks to the newest version of IE not working with PT. I don't have the patience to type it again.

...... And I cant cut and paste thanks to new IE upgrade to put in URL. If you look up at Mike's reply, then click that link and go to that thread and post #10, you can see what I wrote before. That should help.

I guess I am still looking for butt ugly.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember Joe telling me he got his betafakas from JDA. maybe that'll help those of you who got them through those channels narrow it down

Grant
Long Beach, CA

Axel - the one you got looks like the first one that JD Andersen has had for awhile now. They seem to be more in line with a Decipiens type palm to me.

About a year or so ago, Jeff Marcus offered Betefaka that ended up being (in my opinion) the prettier one, with the more plumose leaflets and a real nice red color, almost like an Ambositrae as far as the color goes on the new spear. Like the one you posted a picture of saying that you wanted. Since then, JD Andersen eventually got some of those as well (I imagine from Jeff Marcus) and they had them on their list as Dypsis Betefaka #2. I believe they are now sold out at JD Andersen and he just has the original ones that he started with still in stock.

Hope that helps a bit.