IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Prestoea acuminata and Prestoea acuminata var. montana shots!

kylecawazafla

These are taken in Cerro de la Punta, El Yunque, Camuy (where the Prestoea acuminata var. montanas are), and a swimming hole by Patinillas in Puerto Rico. They look very much like King Palms to me, especially with their habit in habitat! :lol: They always grow in this very red soil and seem to be a very social palm since they never grow alone! Who else is growing these and how do they do for you? I didn't see a single on in cultivation in Puerto Rico, nor did i see any in the botanical garden. I'd think they'd take more pride in a native palm! I know Darold Petty has one in San Francisco! It didn't seem to be thriving, which is surprising since they don't seem to like it hot! I will first post the photos from El Yunque.

3849512975_6eb87be7fd_b.jpg

An impressive natural epiphyte display!

3849511353_d5313c87fc_b.jpg

Here they are dominating the north slope of a mountain.

3850306212_c52d78d036_b.jpg

It is almost always cloudy where they grow. It would be rainy one minute and sunny the next, making the time for snapping photos very limited!

3849508355_83021b3187_b.jpg

I'm always up for learning new things!

Here is a pair growing by La Mina waterfall in El Yunque.

3849578809_a2c4491191_b.jpg

Now there is sunshine!

3849577471_faeec8603c_b.jpg

Now it is cloudy

3850361034_7e256218fc_b.jpg

Now there is rain!

(no photo)

Ok, next: Cecropia peltata canopy! They look like lots of mini umbrellas.

3849547845_01e1dc3cb4_b.jpg

I can't tell if this is Ficus aurea or citrifolia... I'm leaning towards F. citrifolia growing on a limestone rock in El Yunque.

3849545235_dcb572f48b_b.jpg

A view of the rainforest from the parking lot.

3850338708_ddfaa1aa9a_b.jpg

3849542091_6e8239236d_b.jpg

Cool mushroom!

3850326932_c489899d25_b.jpg

Their roots... exposed!

3850325580_57c5d3c634_b.jpg

Cecropia peltata

3850322646_4c27368aa7_b.jpg

Here is the type of dirt they grow in! It has clay-like texture and is very red!

3849523291_7dbe3b6371_b.jpg

La Mina waterfall... It's pretty incongruent seeing a village of people in the middle of the rainforest!

3849521719_5f184d2f7d_b.jpg

Okay, same waterfall without the people.

3849519443_137a7a62b8_b.jpg

This shot reminds me of King Palms in Australia

3849516915_86cb989b4f_b.jpg

These next photos are from Cerro de la Punta and a swimming hole up the road from Patinillas. The more "fuzzy" photos are from Cerro de la Punta since we arrived there at 5 PM!!!

Here is a cool aroid. I have no idea if these are native or what they are.

3849548951_809091826e_b.jpg

Cool Heliconia! Heliconia caribaea?? I did see Heliconia rostrata in some of the forests there, but I don't know if they are native there either.

3849544313_6d1d78e45f_b.jpg

Here is a close up of the "crownshaft". Can someone explain to me why these aren't true crownshafts?

3850302762_55ced660bb_b.jpg

Some tall individuals

3850301354_6759e45083_b.jpg

Can you spot the Coqui frog?? It's in the middle of the leaf on the bottom part of the photo.

3849503541_eaba737f0c_b.jpg

Here it is:

3850297620_c6951c045e_b.jpg

A perfect crown

3850296538_e4c84a4378_b.jpg

They are shaped like a sphere!

3850294882_ebda5c057c_b.jpg

I don't know what these are, but I am sure I have seen them in Home Depot.

3849498035_83646c8617_b.jpg

These are cool ferns! Kind of like the Chambeyronia of ferns maybe??

3849493829_d3dcc2baa4_b.jpg

Growing along a stream

3850288296_79b6121ae1_b.jpg

Here is a Norops!

3849466167_94b3c3b014_b.jpg

More Prestoea acuminatas

3850261116_07e29b5248_b.jpg

They cleared the forest on one side of the stream and look at the erosion!

3850259916_2e2ba1bc05_b.jpg

Some GIANT snails!

3850258732_49b15c40f8_b.jpg

They cleared the forest around these Prestoea acuminatas and now the trunks are covered with bromeliads!

3849461781_84de702333_b.jpg

Now here are the Prestoea acuminata var. montanas that I saw by the caves in Camuy. Ironically, these are found in the lowlands!

3850357756_6506a563cd_b.jpg

3850353570_7c1f3d147a_b.jpg

There are all the Prestoea photos that I have!! Enjoy.

Awesome Kyle! Thank you very much!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

If you have photos of other plants, you can post them too, Kyle. It must be quite a trip :)

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Thanks Kyle, your coverage got it across just how these Prestoea aren't a viable grow in a Mediterranean climate. I have a few seedlings but they have really slowed to a halt this summer. I've no idea of the scale, but I'm guessing those snails are maybe 8 inches in diameter?

Very awesome pics Kyle.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Is quite impressive, isn't it? Those Prestoeas must spent their living daylights soaked wet. It seems you caught the place sunnier than I did back in 2006. Thanks for posting shots from other places where prestoeas grow. I don't remember seeing them at Cerro Punta, but maybe I didn't know of their existence back then. I think they also grow in Cerro La Santa (Cayey).

I am growing three of them (I brought seeds with me). I sent a few to Gileno as well. They seem to love our hot summer and mild winter here in Orlando. They are three years old and four to five feet tall.

Looking forward to some BG shots.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Thanks, Kyle, for the pictures and commentary. The sunlit shot in Post #2 is especially exotic and beautiful.

I agree with you that P. acuminata looks like a king palm. In fact, I planted the only Prestoea I have next to a group of Archontophoenix volunteers to take advantage of their visual affinity.

About the crownshaft: Henderson, Galeano, and Bernal (I imagine you had their field guide with you) state that "the purple-green crownshaft is not completely closed." But, gosh, you'd think you could see some evidence of a partially open crownshaft in at least a couple of your pictures. Did you see any trees where with a flap opening in the crownshaft?

Mike

Mike Lock, North coast of Maui, 330 ft/100 m elevaton, 80 in/2000 mm average rainfall

Man I miss living there.... very cool photos Kyle....thanks.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Thank you very much for the pictures Kyle! :) They are great!

I love Prestoea acuminata var. montana and i am growing some but i find it VERY hard to keep them alive :( They rot extreemly easily for me as seedling and i am shocked to see them growing i waterlogged soils in your photos :blink: I knew they are rainforest palms but from their easy rot behaviour,i wouldnt think they grow along streams too...

However,the few survivors from spring,are doing great for me in the summer heat,growing fast from what they had accustomed me to :)

John,are you sure yours are having problem with heat? I have mine under Washingtonia robusta canopy and saw at least 40C once or maybe more times and it has always been above 30C here and my Prestoea are doing better than ever and have stopped loosing any since the heat set in. Maybe they are having rot set in and are in the stop growth phase because of that? Wish you the best of luck with yours! :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

wonderful location & photography,kyle!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Excellent trip photos. I have never seen any aroids photo'd in natural habitats only incultivation. Really great stuff, Kyle. You really get around.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Thank you for all of the compliments.

David! I had no idea you used to live in Puerto Rico. That is awesome! If I lived there, I'm not sure if I'd want to live somewhere else either.

Kostas! Maybe you should try a Prestoea acuminata and not the montana variety, since the normal Prestoea acuminata is native to higher and wetter place.

Hello everyone from San Diego again!

Thanks for the advise Kyle! :)

I think i am starting to get the hang of them now so hopefully i may be able to grow a Prestoea acuminata var. montana to maturity,i like this variety better because its single trunked instead of clumping :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Hey Kostas, I read that they are clustering too from some sources, but honestly, I didn't see a single clustering Prestoea acuminata while I was in Puerto Rico. Maybe a clustering form is the exception and a single trunked one is the norm.

Hi Kyle, great photos. Habitat shots are always great. I can see this palm likes lots of water! My one at home is the same...a real water hog. They are one palm that responds to water, the more you give them, the faster they grow!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

• 1 year later...

Just been looking for some info on this one. Mine took some losses through the summer, but the bigger they get the tougher they get I find. Gave my 4 a clean up and refert and followed Daryl's advice about them needing water and put them in a tray so they sit in a bit of water. After seeing this thread with them next to creeks growing in red mud and always in the clouds dripping wet, I think they need their water. Hopefully they'll go nuts this winter.

Thanks for these shots Kyle, even though it was 2 years ago. Really good pics to help understand this species better.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I enjoyed the pictures, thanks for sharing.

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach

Mine are doing fine as well, I just can't get them to acclimatize to any bit of sun. So in my limited shade they sit, next to the other sun fearing species A. purpurea. Yes, they are a true sponge and will dessicate the soil of the pot they sit in almost daily.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Mine are doing fine as well, I just can't get them to acclimatize to any bit of sun. Yes, they are a true sponge and will dessicate the soil of the pot they sit in almost daily.

That's maybe why I lost a few. They may have dried out and then got too much sun. Nice rainy weather today so I hope their tray fills up with water and they like it like a pig in mud. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 1 month later...

Gee, missed this thread from two years ago. Great habitat photos of a nice palm. They do quite well in Hilo in full sun and of course water is not an issue. biggrin.gif

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii