IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Exotic Palms of Malaysia/Borneo - Slideshows

Floribunda Palms

I’ve just completed a new round of audio slideshow presentations for your education and enjoyment. These new presentations cover a recent trip we took to the Malaysian peninsula and state of Sarawak on the island of Borneo, and include many exotic palms not usually seen.

If after viewing you have questions, corrections, or any additional information, feel free to contact me at Floribunda Palms.

Parts #1 and #2 of Peninsular Malaysia are ready for viewing HERE 

Parts #! and #2 of Sarawak will be available in 2-3 days at the same location. So stay tuned.

Here are a couple of photos to whet your appetite. And no, they are not photoshopped. (A Giant Johannesteijsmannia altifrons and Pinanga disticha 'Stained Glass')

Giant Joey.jpg

Pinanga Stained Glass.jpg

• Upvote 12

Floribunda Palms and Exotics
P.O. Box 635
Mountain View, HI 96771
Telephone: 808-966-8003 | Toll-Free: 866-966-8003
Email: Info@FloribundaPalms.com | Web: https://www.FloribundaPalms.com / https://floribunda.xyz

OMG Look Fwd to updates and now go and look at yr links. Many thanks  Pete  :)

Giant Joey.jpg

SO, SO Glad that Jeff had a good rave about the Discusting Deforestatrion of Virgin  Rainforests for the planting of palm oil plantations. I spoke about this in my Gardens by the bay thread 4 yrs ago.

Great presentatons Jeff and Dean, great stuff....btw my fav palm was Pinanga disticha Stained glass what a "Pearler"..

Since the USA is the "Super Power" I think they could/should put a "STOP" to anymore  deforestation, below is a map, owned/run by Wilmar corporation which I imagine is a Chinese company?? Evil, Evil stuff....   Pete.map01.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thanks Jeff, very nice palms! The licuala khoonmengii is a favourite. Pitty it is so hard to capture the blue sheen on camera. 

Thanks again

Harry

Wow Jeff!  Thanks for putting together the great presentation.  What a fantastic contribution you and Suchin do for the Palm world.  Another great job by Dean's computer / network / webmaster skills.  Cannot wait for the next trip.

Jeff wanted me to thank you for your comments, and to let you know that the promised "second half" of his Malaysia/Borneo expedition is now ready for viewing HERE

Here's a few teasers.

SarawakSlides_52-168 copy.jpg

SarawakSlides_21-212 copy.jpg

SarawakSlides_53-190 copy.jpg

SarawakSlides_64-220 copy.jpg

• Upvote 3

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

10/10 once again thanks  Jeff, Dean and Suchin, so, so much "WOW" , many thanks.

Enjoy the rest of the IPS tour,

All best  Pete  :)

Pete

Wilmar International is Singapore based, major shareholdings are Malaysian and American . CSR is now called Wilmar Sugar Australia who own the sugar industry infrastructure of FNQ. Goodman Fielder sold it to them. International commerce at its best, if Aussies were to boycott them in protest then we destroy our cane farmers . Play Peter against Paul and  #@*& you Jack the share holder comes first. I don't know the answer, maybe there isn't one, what I am sure of is that nature will endure, whether we do is another thing. And yes I share the blame . Darwin has a mothballed bio-diesel plant that was built with great green fanfare , it closed down because the palm oil  feed stock became to expensive. At this point as current affairs in Australia show the economic imperative comes first and until there is some sort of adjustment peat fires will burn in the rain forests of Asia. Anyway enough said

Regards John K.

1 hour ago, strandoo said:

Pete

Wilmar International is Singapore based, major shareholdings are Malaysian and American . CSR is now called Wilmar Sugar Australia who own the sugar industry infrastructure of FNQ. Goodman Fielder sold it to them. International commerce at its best, if Aussies were to boycott them in protest then we destroy our cane farmers . Play Peter against Paul and  #@*& you Jack the share holder comes first. I don't know the answer, maybe there isn't one, what I am sure of is that nature will endure, whether we do is another thing. And yes I share the blame . Darwin has a mothballed bio-diesel plant that was built with great green fanfare , it closed down because the palm oil  feed stock became to expensive. At this point as current affairs in Australia show the economic imperative comes first and until there is some sort of adjustment peat fires will burn in the rain forests of Asia. Anyway enough said

Regards John K.

Thank You John, Yes its all about Economics Not the Natural World and Malaysia ans USA are the Big Players, "No Wonder" it wont stop..:( Evil Vs Enlightened...      Pete

Sorry Jeff, Dean and Suchin to say above on your Stunning Thread but looks like its time for may 1000s of Americans to "Protest" outside the Whitehouse..

Next on the hit list and its already in operation is Cameroon which has the largest virgin rainforest left in Africa...Ohhhhh, the poor natives and abundant wildlife that once called that mighty rainforest their home..sad,sad,sad...

15 hours ago, Dypsisdean said:

Jeff wanted me to thank you for your comments, and to let you know that the promised "second half" of his Malaysia/Borneo expedition is now ready for viewing HERE

Here's a few teasers.

SarawakSlides_52-168 copy.jpg

SarawakSlides_21-212 copy.jpg

SarawakSlides_53-190 copy.jpg

SarawakSlides_64-220 copy.jpg

Last picture looks like Licuala bachmaensis. If so.......pretty bad ass!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

outstanding Presentation Jeff!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

On 6/14/2016, 4:32:26, Floribunda Palms said:

I’ve just completed a new round of audio slideshow presentations for your education and enjoyment. These new presentations cover a recent trip we took to the Malaysian peninsula and state of Sarawak on the island of Borneo, and include many exotic palms not usually seen.

If after viewing you have questions, corrections, or any additional information, feel free to contact me at Floribunda Palms.

Parts #1 and #2 of Peninsular Malaysia are ready for viewing HERE 

Parts #! and #2 of Sarawak will be available in 2-3 days at the same location. So stay tuned.

Here are a couple of photos to whet your appetite. And no, they are not photoshopped. (A Giant Johannesteijsmannia altifrons and Pinanga disticha 'Stained Glass')

Giant Joey.jpg

absolutely bad ass!!

keep the pictures coming :) 

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

3 hours ago, Josh-O said:

absolutely bad ass!!

keep the pictures coming :) 

From the presentations you can pull up just the photos, sort through, and view them conveniently one by one from the menu options in the control bar on the bottom. So, if you don't have time to hear the presentation again, and would just like to locate and view a few of the photos, this is easy to do.

Kona, on The Big Island

The Hawaii Island Palm Society was lucky enough to have Floibunda give two subsequent lecture/slide shows of both these presentations back in April as part of HIPS's lecture series. Both were well attended and some of these rare palms were given as prizes for answering quizzes related to the lectures. See, paying attention has it's benefits!

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

5 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

Last picture looks like Licuala bachmaensis. If so.......pretty bad ass!

Jeff,

This was discussed, explained, and labeled in the presentation by Jeff as Licuala sp. "Fantasia" Unfortunately in severe jeopardy. IMO - one of the most insane palms in all of Jeff's presentations.

SarawakSlides_63-231 copy.jpg

• Upvote 3

Kona, on The Big Island

Great thread...why aren't the biennials hooked with Jeff?

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

27 minutes ago, Dypsisdean said:

Jeff,

This was discussed, explained, and labeled in the presentation by Jeff as Licuala sp. "Fantasia" Unfortunately in severe jeopardy. IMO - one of the most insane palms in all of Jeff's presentations.

SarawakSlides_63-231 copy.jpg

wow!!!!

Sunset zone 24

I remember when Clayton and Mikey (decd) showed "Fantasia" on PT years ago, it was smaller then,but I really thought it wasnt real, it looked like a fake plastic palm, great to see it thriving in this garden, hope the name stays as it so suits it. Pete  :)SarawakSlides_63-231 copy.jpg

• Upvote 1

I just watched part two...again thanks for posting...I saw palms I've never seen anywhere before...AWESOME.- Peter

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Just finished watching the Sarawak presentation. This after returning from the pre-tour and biennial. Many of these species observed on the tour, but I doubt that my photos are this good. Thanks much for this.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

I concur with Mike. I need to take some time to watch now that I've been there.. :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 6 years later...