IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Licuala glabra v. selangorensis and more today

Cindy Adair

I only had an hour, but it was enough time for a quick stroll.

DSCN4719.thumb.jpg.5d9cab413f48ada140429

DSCN4721.thumb.JPG.bb554aa82f31176607c35

I had picked some bright red fruits yesterday that fell into my hands when I touched them. After I soaked them and easily removed the outer layer all (6) sunk in a bowl of water. No camera then, so I went back to this out of the way area to at least show the more orange remaining fruits and the palm itself.

DSCN4723.thumb.JPG.5f214eb85a7c51081f9af

DSCN4727.thumb.JPG.50c045473ead229257f4e

Any guesses as to how long before the orange ones ripen?

This one was planted as a seedling in August of 2010 and the only care since has been removing some vines every so often.

Edited by Cindy Adair
wrote seeds "floated" when all sunk!
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 11

Cindy Adair

Of course I got distracted but still made it back to the house in an hour. Here are a few things that warranted time for a quick photo even with difficult lighting.

First the nearby Phoenicophorium borsigianum planted with two tiny grass like leaves planted 4/11.

DSCN4728.thumb.jpg.ed7f77849cdc85cf95e15

The 'mapu' was a little larger when I got it in 2013.

DSCN4729.thumb.jpg.e8c0f96655b74acd73c7c

These are some scenes I passed on the way to check for fruits (none yet) on my Licuala parviflora. 

DSCN4736.thumb.jpg.3a0554512009faa580d55

DSCN4737.thumb.JPG.ad8df5938d37d8fc393b6

DSCN4739.thumb.jpg.6816d02ec3ebf8b169e5c

DSCN4738.thumb.JPG.3e41bd9f9a9c4341f5b3e

Finally two of the six blooms of a hybrid orchid on a dead tree near my house and then my beloved Iriartea deltoidea planted tiny in 6/09 as seen from the porch. Lots of tiny orchids blooming, but not big enough to see on the left of the Iriartea.

DSCN4741.thumb.jpg.df64542a1bccdfefbaacb

DSCN4744.thumb.jpg.b35b6713c95563667c14c

Yes, I need to cut off the PVC pipes and maybe remove the flagging tape (just where I am keeping the jungle at bay) so they are much less conspicuous). 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 11

Cindy Adair

Thanks all! I just edited my first post as I had for some reason written that the seeds floated, when happily really they all sunk.

I'll be planting them today!

Any ideas on expected germination time with Licualas? 

Cindy Adair

Hi Cindy, 

amazing growth on yr palms :greenthumb:

I only found out today our unknown Licuala which when younger  I thought was a Lanonia, is Licuala Glabra var selangoris , thanks to Luke Nancarrow.

Its way smaller than yours and been inground sice tiny for many years.

Your Iriartea is looking very healthy, will you plant lots of them since they are so beautiful ?

Here my little Glabra var selangorensis.

Licuala's are slow to germinate, up to a year and well over a year for  some.

All best   Pete

IMGP2940.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Very nice Cindy, your palms are really looking happy and getting bigger.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks so much everyone!

And Pete, thanks for the Licuala germination information and lovely photo of your beauty!

Anybody else growing this one?

Cindy Adair

Hi Pete,

a Licuala being sold in Australia as Licuala sp. No.9 looks similar to this, sourced from Eq.Ex.

Any thoughts there ?

regards Kris

1 hour ago, KrisKupsch said:

Hi Pete,

a Licuala being sold in Australia as Licuala sp. No.9 looks similar to this, sourced from Eq.Ex.

Any thoughts there ?

regards Kris

Hi Kris, I just looked at it on Equatorialexotics site and I see no similarity at all........ Arden knows  Licuala's more than any Palm Collector/Enthusiast , prob got the largest collection of Licuala's of  any collector worldwide, so best advice Kris is send Arden an email  and ask licuala_sp_9.jpg .

This pic is from and belongs to as below and cannot be copied...

Equatorial Exotics for Rare and Beautiful Tropical Plants of the World

equatorialexotics.com

my No. 9's look unlike your pic !

Ill let the No. 9's grow on before asking Aarden

Edited by KrisKupsch

Kris, pics are better than words, Ardens pic of No 9  is a an Adult, share your pics, show us your 9's, Arden has "So Many" Liciala's it could easily  be a tag mix up ??

Look fwd to yr pics..  Pete

Thanks for sharing your palms (and other plants) from your garden.  It's always nice to see what you have and how it is growing. 

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

• 4 years later...
On 11/30/2016 at 1:17 PM, Cindy Adair said:

I only had an hour, but it was enough time for a quick stroll.

DSCN4719.thumb.jpg.5d9cab413f48ada140429

DSCN4721.thumb.JPG.bb554aa82f31176607c35

I had picked some bright red fruits yesterday that fell into my hands when I touched them. After I soaked them and easily removed the outer layer all (6) sunk in a bowl of water. No camera then, so I went back to this out of the way area to at least show the more orange remaining fruits and the palm itself.

DSCN4723.thumb.JPG.5f214eb85a7c51081f9af

DSCN4727.thumb.JPG.50c045473ead229257f4e

Any guesses as to how long before the orange ones ripen?

This one was planted as a seedling in August of 2010 and the only care since has been removing some vines every so often.

Cindy, I did an internet search on Google, and your posting here is the first thing that pops up.  I was looking when I saw it is available, and you know where.  Beautiful species!

Five years later on my "forever" farm, I have a missing label Licuala which I had thought might be the one in this post.

There was too much sun in this area after hurricane Maria in 2017 hence the yellow look to older leaves. The tree ferns have helped provide cover again and the plants below are happier.

I have seedlings popping up now from this one and as you see there are more ripening. The infructescence doesn't look quite the same though. What do you think?? 

DSCN1750.jpg

DSCN1751.jpg

DSCN1752.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

• 3 years later...

This species of Licuala is remarkably tough. No winteritis. 

On 12/5/2016 at 8:05 PM, KrisKupsch said:

Hi Pete,

Any thoughts there ?

regards Kris

I have one licuala No 9 in the ground interesting variety time will tell what it actually is but iam sure there are some palm nuts out there to help identify it for me 

Some of those palms are to die for Cindy. I remember you having planting spree when you first acquired that property.  I was so amazed at the growth as for some reason I thought it was about 4 years ago when it must be closer to 10. When I moved into this just over 3 years ago, the idea of starting over again was too much to cope with and I was going to have the whole place paved with just a few strategically places urns of vegetation.  Then I remembered you have started over again twice and you are transforming that gigantic plot of  land into a paradise all by yourself. Therefore I should be capable of doing the same in my tiny yard. Of course you have the advantage of a tropical climate which means all the really pretty palms survive that would probably curl up and croak here. Those licualas are lovely and possibly stand a good chance here ....if I can ever find any of the bloody things ! Please keep on being my inspiration.

Peachy

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

6 hours ago, happypalms said:

I have one licuala No 9 in the ground interesting variety time will tell what it actually is but iam sure there are some palm nuts out there to help identify it for me 

Is Pete still around ? He has a glorious garden and a very extensive collection too.

27.35 south.

Here’s my little glarbra I originally purchased from BGL nursery in far North Queensland doing well waiting its turn to get planted out when strong enough 

IMG_0620.jpeg

IMG_0619.jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/3/2024 at 2:41 PM, peachy said:

Is Pete still around ? He has a glorious garden and a very extensive collection too.

He’ll be at home doing Pete things. Avoids outside noise and concentrates on his life and garden but i bet if he hasnt blocked you like he has me..youll find on a forum somewhere I bet. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 7:55 PM, happypalms said:

Here’s my little glarbra I originally purchased from BGL nursery in far North Queensland doing well waiting its turn to get planted out when strong enough 

IMG_0620.jpeg

IMG_0619.jpeg

BGL nursery ? It came from ML can see his hand writing ! Its not same as No.9 ive since learnt. Ive got LGS inground through winter without a mark. Much larger than yours. 

6 hours ago, KrisKupsch said:

He’ll be at home doing Pete things. Avoids outside noise and concentrates on his life and garden but i bet if he hasnt blocked you like he has me..youll find on a forum somewhere I bet. 

I am glad to know he is okay and still around.  We got on quite well and he was always inviting me down to get palms he thought I would like.  He went quiet after his bad fall, then I had health issues that kept me off line for a couple of years and now I am back I haven't seen him on here. Thanks for update.

Peachy

27.35 south.

I haven't had much luck with online purchases from FNQ. Out of 6 A catechu 5 were dead within a week and the last is barely hanging on.  Yet to try BGL, it's the same initials as a former director of IPS and me being naturally suspicious of coincidences thought it might be a ploy to cash in on Bo's name.  I mainly buy from Richard ( Happypalms) and had a lovely lot from Tim in Melbourne but otherwise have to rely on fluke finds at nurseries.  Now that I am working again I might be able to save up and go feral at next year's PACSOA show !

Peachy

27.35 south.

14 hours ago, KrisKupsch said:

BGL nursery ? It came from ML can see his hand writing ! Its not same as No.9 ive since learnt. Ive got LGS inground through winter without a mark. Much larger than yours. 

I have a number nine in the ground so far so good there are only two places i could have got it  from one is bgl ML iam not sure of or heard of discussion to be further clarified later on what palm don’t you have is more the question