After 7 years I finally got my dream crab (Calappa Flammea)

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had this crab for a few days now so I can share!

Calappa Flammea, aka Flame Box Crab / Flame Shame-faced Crab / Flame Fountain Crab

1684722326165.png

The individual I have right now is around 4", full grown, and came from saltybottomreefcompany!

Due to the rarity of this crab I'll provide as much info as possible in my 7 years of research and experience with the individuals I have had, and figuring out the reef safe part is pretty easy considering I put it in my 125 gallon aquarium lol.

Info: Calappidae, or Shameface/box crabs, spend a lot of time buried in the sand with only their eyes emerged. I found in both cases I've had them that they tend to run around actively more than staying in the sand, they are super interactive and fun to watch, I wouldn't recommend one in anything smaller than a 20 long by itself, as they do use up a lot of the room and make aqua scaping tricky. They need at least a 2 inch deep sandbed, just enough for the crab to bury with only its eyes sticking out.

They primarily feed on bivalves and snails, in fact if you take a close look at the image's left claw you'll notice something off about it:

1684722776649.png

This hook is present on only one claw, its designed specifically to crush open shells of clams and snails kinda like a walnut cracker, the actual claw is hidden behind this hook while the other claw is more long and sharp for ripping out the meat. They are not exclusive to this diet, as they easily take what meaty items you give them such as krill, silversides, and what I'm feeding them: frozen PanaPesca Hardshelled steamed clams from my local grocery store. I'm observing it very careful to see if it eats worms as I have a large, possibly nightmare fueling amount of them in this 125g and I do see it actively pulling stuff out of the sand and eating it.

I do not know whether or not it will eat anemones or corals and it's a risk I'm taking under the belief those are not primary prey items and I have an invasive amount of GSP and hairy mushrooms to spare for testing. My Leather toadstool is about a foot wide with a high stalk so I'm confident it won't attempt to pick at it. Fish I do not have anything that stays at the bottom, but I believe the rule of thumb is if it can catch it, it will eat it. However the odds of it catching a fish are very slim as it cannot go in rockwork easily at all and it stays on the flat bottom, never climbing even on low rocks. Think of them like horseshoe crabs in their mobility, but unlike horseshoe crabs they aren't nearly as difficult to keep and come out as a good show piece! They do get along with each other if you have enough space, infact the females will carry around the males in-between their front claws which is funny to see, making them pairable. Males stay a little smaller so they can be carried.

The 'fountain crab' name comes from a comical ability to just spit water straight up in the air when you move them up to the surface, I got to observe this when taking it out of acclimation but I do not know the stress implications of forcing this behavior so you'd have to google it.

They are very unique crabs and I highly, HIGHLY, recommend giving them a try if you get lucky enough to see one available, easily one of my top 3 favorite animals in the hobby but sadly, are difficult to get my hands on for a few reasons, 1; demand I imagine, 2; there is another animal in the hobby labeled as 'shame-faced crab', which we more commonly refer to as 'calico crabs' today, they are completely unrelated but have similar burying behavior, and I find them less active in general, definitely not as cool as calappidae but most wholesalers probably order them automatically on request for 'shame face' crabs.

Story:

So why is this animal so special to me? Well Calappa Flammea isn't the species I've had before, but pretty much are exactly the same except visually, what I had was Calappa Calappa, or smooth box crab. Many years ago I ordered it off impulse from liveaquaria diver's den, with 0 clue what it did it just looked cool. It was the size of a golf ball, maybe smaller, and it would not eat anything for 2 weeks..I tried really hard to get it to eat ANYTHING for 2 weeks, and I was aware of the snails/clams trying those. After the 10-14 days past, I finally caught it eating a clam which was super encouraging. It was night and day how it went from not eating at all, to following me anytime I put my hand in expecting food, I got to hand feed it and became super attached to the crab over time. One day I woke up, and from across the room I seen this GIANT boulder in this little 10 gallon tank... science could not explain this to me, this crab went from golf ball to base ball size almost instantly, how did that thing even exist in the previous shell made no logical sense to me, but it felt like an accomplishment to succeed so well with this random animal I found.

..Now the part thats hard for me to even type out.. So obviously this crab was going to need something bigger, and I was already in process of planning a 125 gallon setup. I went to craigslist, where there was a listing of a full setup, rock, sand, equipment, lighting, stand, tank, sump, AND bonus 55 gallon with all its equipment and stand too for sale for only $1000, this was a steal I was too blind to question. I took the offer, setup the 55 gallon at home intending it to be this crab's new home. Upon adding the crab, and the evil clarkii clownfish in hindsight would've been an awful addition, I woke up the next morning to a mass funeral... EVERYTHING died, the pencil urchin was limp, the condy anemones were laying at the bottom with no stick to touch at all, the clowns were dead, the snails were belly up... and my crab was a victim too. This marked the worst day of the hobby for me cause not only did either something about this setup leach out and kill my pride and joy or I did something incredibly wrong, but I learned a lot being paranoid to ever avoid that mistake again. I'm still not sure what caused the deaths as all parameters were checked + skimmer running, everything was happy and alive the night they were added, but the fact even the sea urchin and anemones reacted that badly implied something chemical poisoned everything cause stuff like urchins and snails die slowly over course of days or weeks, not instantly. Either way, to this day I'm extremely over protective and throw out used equipment, silicone any exposed metals to coat them especially on pumps, rinse my arms constantly, and obsessing over carbon. Forget about tap water, I would never use anything even treated if it went through a pipe.

About a year later I found my 2nd chance at Calappa Calappa, but unfortunately it didn't survive more than a few hours in my completely newer tank that had other animals in it already, I don't think it did the shipping stress too well and based on the difficulty for the previous one eating, I wasn't too surprised but it was disappointing as I never got another shot since. This same setup would become my L. Maculata tank. I searched very hard everywhere... trading forums, craigslist, every LFS under the sun even out of state, could not find one until now and I feel like a void was finally filled knowing everything from the large tank, the fast eating response (1st 24hours was worrying though), and knowing they're still out there with right collector.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stomatopods17

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Super active, I noticed it seems to bury in the sand for about an hour then go back to running around digging, assuming its eating spaghetti worms.

I would like to add since I failed to mention it in the original post, I do not recommend hawaiian black sand for sand burrowers as it tends to be sharper and can cut some inverts during molts. This is just something I didn't prepare for and can't really change as this is a 7 year old tank, it's also why I don't just drop a mantis in the tank cause the sand is not habitable to them. Calappidae prefer very fine sand so they can easily burrow into it by shuffling backwards and pushing with their front claws.

Hawaiian black can still work, it'll likely be fine but it is a precaution to keep in mind with stuff that might not like covering itself in what's essentially close to volcanic glass.

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! For anyone who's interested, this place offers them for sale:

OP
OP
Stomatopods17

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! For anyone who's interested, this place offers them for sale:
Unfortunately they don't sell them publicly or to LFS.

GULF SPECIMEN MARINE LAB DOES NOT PROVIDE ANIMALS TO PRIVATE INDIVIDUALS. WE ONLY PROVIDE ANIMALS TO EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS, RESEARCH LABS, AND PUBLIC AQUARIUMS.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately they don't sell them publicly or to LFS.

I was wondering how I missed that until I realized they have two different order instruction pages:

OP
OP
Stomatopods17

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Definitely is way more active at night time, at night it'll run around, pause and bury for about an hour, then go back prowling around the tank.

It ate 2 clams last night as a precaution to sate its hunger since it was digging for worms so much, I woke up to everyone and everything alive and well but... what I didn't expect was a destroyed euphyllia frag. This frag was already dead for about a month, it was a failure from day 1 on my part, so there was no flesh on it what so ever it was basically rubble in the sand.

Apparently this crab wanted to redecorate or really didn't like it:

1684807302339.png

Image on the left is an example of what I mean by 'dead euphyllia' from my other tank (i have terrible luck with euphyllias incase you're wondering...), the right is what the crab did to a similar frag that was already dead, frag plug pressed against the glass and yep, all that debris is from the skeleton. Even dead reefs aren't safe it seems! I still believe anything on top of the rocks is perfectly safe though. Its just odd because the frag being dead would likely not interest the crab at all but apparently there must've been something about it the crab still destroyed it for.. and still, I never seen a mantis shatter pieces of anything this much before, even snails have some parts intact.

I attempted to feed it another clam around noon today and there was no feeding response at all. It ate a lot yesterday so I wonder if its just full for awhile.

Going to attempt to build a wall to try and keep the crab from interacting with anything towards the back of the tank such as where the fish sleep, the anemone is, and give the hermit crabs more areas to be isolated to.

I can't tell if its male or female, I have good looks at it but I don't have a comparison really for this species to know the difference. I want to assume its female because of the size + width of the abdomen stretching both sides but not 100% sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stomatopods17

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget the wall idea, I just watched it going crazy last night actually climbing all over the rocks and even attempting to climb up the silicone (didn't make it far cause its so heavy).

It definitely is rowdy and might have to begin modifying my sump just incase.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these dudes there so awesome! this is a picture of the first one I ever saw in 2015
I was like why is the rock moving lol Since then Ive seen them way more now that I know what to look for :)

Attachments

• crab.jpeg
    crab.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 127
OP
OP
Stomatopods17

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Few days ago crab started behaving strange.

It was a very aggressive eater, 2 clams a day and always out an about.

Now its... behaving odd? It rarely is walking around, it hasn't accepted any food for quite a few days (still trying, its an established 125 gallon so I don't mind having clams rot), params look good, and when I reached in the crab actually raised its claws at me in a threat posture, which is completely new as it wasn't afraid of me at all, infact it'd follow my algae scraper lol.

I'm hoping its just a fast/lethargic for a molt and nothing else, I don't see anything wrong with it besides behavior and stubbornness to eat, it occasionally walks around to relocate its spot but does so rather slowly instead of zooming around.

OP
OP
Stomatopods17

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mystery solved! Was indeed a molt, and it got bigger which is the most surprising part, I believed it to be full grown, its HUGE!
1687060485144.png

Best to leave it alone for a little while now, should be eating again in 2 days but good lord am I worried for my other inhabitants, it was kinda ridiculous watching it push 3lb. rocks and being as big as the yellow tang, now its bigger than the yellow tang!

Here's a video from quite a while ago of it burrowing:

Where you see the white on the rock, that's actually chipped from the crab itself, its claws are so strong!

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this thread. I just got a Calico Box crab yesterday. About 4". I had been considering putting him/her in my large 210g FOWLR, figuring most of the things I would want to protect from him spend most of their time in the water or in the rocks, but if your Flame Box crab can climb the rocks like that makes me worry more. He is in a 20g long qt tank right now. May need to rethink where he is going. Maybe I will set up his own tank, I just don't like doing tanks for a single critter.

OP
OP
Stomatopods17

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still hasn't eaten or moved from its spot since the molt, but still alive (can see the little antennas flicking)

Yeah it definitely can climb the rock, calicos are probably no different in that regard but the box crab occasionally moves around on top of the rockwork (and pushes even the largest rocks when it burrows next to them). I thought horseshoe crab logic would keep it on the sandbed but it has some nights where it just kicks in to maximum overdrive and runs all over the place on crack. Its entertaining but makes your heart stop a little when it goes on a smaller piece of rock or pause by where the fish sleep. So far no casualities but it hasn't moved since it doubled in size so who knows.

I don't think calicos are as active tho, box crab runs around surprisingly fast like a beach crab but when i had a calico in the sump it was more slow going.

I've seen it attempt to climb the corners of the tank itself, it usually falls before reaching even half way cause its of its weight, i imagine its only doing it via the silicone.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back