Can someone help me id this coral please.

IMegaSquirt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this frag for $20 from my LFS. He said that his distributor sent it to him but he didnt order it nor did he know what it was. If anyone could please id it for me so I know what it is and where to place it as far as flow and light I would greatly appreciate it.
20200502_162605.jpg
Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
I

IMegaSquirt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The polyps look green in the pic but they look more yellow (ish) in person

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I had to guess, I would say it's some type of Lithophyllon coral, but defer to other experts that are smarter than me...

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this frag for $20 from my LFS. He said that his distributor sent it to him but he didnt order it nor did he know what it was. If anyone could please id it for me so I know what it is and where to place it as far as flow and light I would greatly appreciate it.
20200502_162605.jpg
Thanks in advance!
Whatever it is its cool looking!

OP
OP
I

IMegaSquirt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think that the polyps are right for a pavona. It has what looks like little yellow hairs.

OP
OP
I

IMegaSquirt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, your right. All the pavona that came up in a google search didnt look like that. But now that you gave the name for me to search that is exactly what it is. Thank you very much!

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up “freak hair pavona” and you may reconsider....

Thats the problem with comic book names and some vendors, the "species" at the end of the= "rainbow watermelon blah, blah blah" is sometimes incorrect.

This is not pavona, its likely psammocora.

BMW 540i eh? I used to own a 2002 e39 540i M-sport
loved it! I sold my old STi to buy a Chevy SS sedan (holden commadore) simply because many car reviewers/ test drivers said it reminded them of the e39 M5.
Seems like many, if not most, reefers are also car fanatics.

sinfulreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the problem with comic book names and some vendors, the "species" at the end of the= "rainbow watermelon blah, blah blah" is sometimes incorrect.

This is not pavona, its likely psammocora.

BMW 540i eh? I used to own a 2002 e39 540i M-sport
loved it! I sold my old STi to buy a Chevy SS sedan (holden commadore) simply because many car reviewers/ test drivers said it reminded them of the e39 M5.
Seems like many, if not most, reefers are also car fanatics.
This is for sure a pavonna . This is a jf freak hair pavonna . I own a pretty nice sized chunk of this coral !

sinfulreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200502_162605.jpg
Thanks in advance!
Jf Freak hair pavonna got some myself!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do these grow? Do they encrust?

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to guess, I would say it's some type of Lithophyllon coral, but defer to other experts that are smarter than me...

I am with you on the litho, just as I am certain JFFH isn’t a pavona.

Maybe it’s orange star polyps

IMG_2282.jpeg

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycloseris wellsi/explanulata
Using time at work very efficiently.
Did some searching around the web. Cycloseris explanata is the best match with the pictures. The freak hair I posted above is my reference. It did look different under lower lighting.
I will post the link I borrowed the pic and info from.

So yea, vendors, hobbyists and scientists can say a coral is a (blank). Then later the same coral gets reclassified by some other scientists under a different name.

Wait!! Are we sure that the scientists aren’t the ones making up all the silly names for the same coral?

Off topic but I have had a coral for years, not pretty or bright, just different. Haven’t see one around like it, again not pretty or bright may be why. Anyway it most likely is Lithophyllon undulatum.

IMG_2284.png
Fig. 4. A, Cycloseris explanulata at Porter Patch; B, Cycloseris wellsi at Abana Rock, north; C, Cycloseris mokai at Littledale Shoal, south; D, Lithophyllon scabra at Hornet Reef (Brunei Patches); E, Lithophyllon concinna at Abana Rock, south; F, Lithophyllon repanda at Abana Rock, north; G, Lithophyllon undulatum at Abana Rock, south; H, Halomitra pileus at Abana Rock, south; I, Danafungia horrida at Pelong Rocks, northeast; J, Danafungia scruposa at Pelong Rocks, southwest; K, Fungia fungites at Abana Rock, south.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back