Gorilla crab?

RandyT5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is huge, been trying to catch him for weeks. What the heck is this thing?
IMG952017120495181051.jpg
IMG952017120495181054.jpg

OP
OP
RandyT5

RandyT5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah he/she is in the sump. Apparently angry to be moved from the 90 to a tiny sump.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Crabzilla. Interesting claws, look like a vice grip.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose I should provide a somewhat serious answer, as well, haha.

I don't have a species for you, but that type of claw shape is typical of herbivores. If you look at mithraxs, you'll see that flat paddle shaped tip. It's designed for plucking algae. Most predatory crabs like stones have pointy tips on their claws.

I'd still probably sump or fuge him though as all crabs can become opportunistic when hungry and I'd wager a guy that big is hungry often.

OP
OP
RandyT5

RandyT5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s crazy!! How did you end up catching him. I have a few I want to send to the sump.

He liked to hide under one of the huge rocks and only came out once a week maybe. I waited for him to pop out and I chased him into the open with a long stick. And then grabbed him.

I suppose I should provide a somewhat serious answer, as well, haha.

I don't have a species for you, but that type of claw shape is typical of herbivores. If you look at mithraxs, you'll see that flat paddle shaped tip. It's designed for plucking algae. Most predatory crabs like stones have pointy tips on their claws.

I'd still probably sump or fuge him though as all crabs can become opportunistic when hungry and I'd wager a guy that big is hungry often.

He did do a number on algea. I took him out cause he was a pain, always re arranging frags and rocks. I feed pretty heavy and he loves table shrimp.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if this is the same crab in a juvenile phase
1707779771656.jpeg
Yours is some form of xanthid crab. Real bad boys. The scavenging unkillable murder hobos of the ocean. It has cutty cutty claws for eating flesh and a hairy body. The one they posted was a particularly gigantic mithrax crab that has scrapy scrapy claws for eating algae and a smooth body (legs can still be hairy as they get REALLY old).

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the claw ends are flat like emerald crabs which would suggest it grazes on algae on rocks etc, but its huge and probably a sump crab.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back