Is Ulva intestinalis the best algae to grow, it certainly puts up a good case.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ulva intestinalis is easy to grow, fast growing, does not fragment as much as Cheato, hardy and can be grown in the sump or in an algae scrubber as I grow it. If any should find it's way into the DT most algae eating fish will soon devour it. I put some in my Gourmet grazer and most my fish love to eat it so we also get free food. In a few short weeks. With regards to results, I am growing this Ulva in my Atlantis 2 waterfall ATS and have seen my tanks NO3 drop from 25ppm to just 2ppm. Ulva intestinalis is found in just about all the oceans of the world from tropical to temperate seas. This algae is quite possibly the best algae to grow to reduce NO3. if there is a better algae for our needs then I have yet to encounter it.

7 days growth in my ATS 300 grammes.
20170614_130117.jpg

Yes, this much Ulva growth in just 7 days.
20170614_124727.jpg

My Atlantis 2 waterfall ATS.
atlantis1.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree

pet shops w get it in commonly with their gracillaria feed bags etc

when people would have ulva pop up in the DT tank and it started to grow, we were wiping it out easily with a single dose of peroxide its really susceptible which only means if some fragments, and gets elsewhere, its a nonissue unlike other macros we could be working with. I agree its a great algae all around. next time my lfs has some, id keep a sprig in my actual dt off in the corner it adds neat plant balance look and its safe from takeover risk.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked the manufacturer of my Atlantis when I bought it if he could spare a little to which he obliged.
I have supplied some to reefers here in theUK as I harvest so much each week. Some just feed it to their tangs etc. Must my fish will eat it from angels blennies and angels, my fox face loves it.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else running this Ulva in a sump or ATA?

I'm trying to, but it is a bit chilly now to go seaweed collecting at the Jersey Shore. Know of any sources in the UK that will ship some to the US? I've seen references to it being grown there for human consumption.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to, but it is a bit chilly now to go seaweed collecting at the Jersey Shore. Know of any sources in the UK that will ship some to the US? I've seen references to it being grown there for human consumption.

I doubt it would ship to the US in a reasonable time and I also doubt you would be able to import it from the UK due to strict importation laws but I am not sure about that not knowing your laws on such.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew it in my DT and sump for my tangs to munch on. Great grower but can get weedy if you don't have algae eaters.

gregkn73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I also get GHA and some slime along with the Ulva. However, the Ulva is the predominant algae grown in my ATS.
In my case the predominant algae on ATS, is hair algae. Ulva can be invasive in DT, if I wouldn't have some fish eating it, I would have eradicate it.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case the predominant algae on ATS, is hair algae. Ulva can be invasive in DT, if I wouldn't have some fish eating it, I would have eradicate it.

So, in other words, if Ulva finding it's way into your DT is not a problem just like with mine. So many fish eat it off my Gourmet grazer even my cleaner wrasse eats it off it which was a big surprise to me.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew it in my DT and sump for my tangs to munch on. Great grower but can get weedy if you don't have algae eaters.
as above so many fish not just tangs but angels both large and small, Wrasses, Blennies, Damsels and others eat it in my tank.

Robert (Bearclawws)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read Ulva intestinalis grows on the coast of Northern California, sure would like to be able to find a source for it. I am quite far from there, here in Texas.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read Ulva intestinalis grows on the coast of Northern California, sure would like to be able to find a source for it. I am quite far from there, here in Texas.
Ulva intestinalis is found in many coastal areas all over the world in fact.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back