Strange sponge(?) breeding

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was doing a bit of tidying up in the 90g DT (pushing RFA end caps down into the sand more). I noticed my weird sponge, collected in the Keys almost 3 years ago, is having babies again. In all the snorkeling we have done near Little Money Key; probably 25 times over 10 years since we got our Zodiac, I have only seen a sponge like this one twice.

20210114_110749.jpg

20210114_110800.jpg

This thing sends out 'spikes' about 1/2" long and the these round spheres develop at the end of the spike. Then the sphere develops a bunch of little spikes. Eventually the small spheres fall off. I assume they are new baby sponges? This is the second time I've seen this in the aquarium.

Last edited:

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about this?

Attachments

• 20210114_095649.jpg
    20210114_095649.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry i dont know the answer, but it reminds me of this:
Yup.

I forwarded pictures of this when I first collected it, and again when it did this making of little units, to a few marine biologists I'm in touch with as well as a couple of marine websites. The best answer I got was that it's probably a deep water ball sponge. But they are typically yellow to brown and I collected these is 2' of water just 100 yards off a small island which is easily 5 to 10 miles from any water deeper than 50 feet.

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you are witnessing your tunicate reproducing.

Green Tunicates are relatively common in the area you go snorkeling, mostly found in the lagoons and mangroves.

It's tough to tell from the photos, but I am unaware of sponges budding out in that way. It has the right shape and similar characteristics for me to conclude it may be a a Larval Tunicate.

Attached, is a screenshot clipping from here. See the Larval stage on the left. It is very similar.

My guess you're seeing an unusual combination of things resulting in the larvae to settle on the mother colony.

I like tunicates.
-Andrew

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 2.44.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 2.44.51 PM.png
    219.4 KB · Views: 36

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ron, I remember when you first posted this. Try researching Tectitethya crypta. I think common name is golf ball sponge. Sometimes I wish I was in Florida instead of Texas to get some of the more tropical species. Then I think about red tide and don't wish anymore. There is always South Padre Island in September to scratch my itch for new stuff for the tank. Hope someone can figure out what this is.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you are witnessing your tunicate reproducing.

Green Tunicates are relatively common in the area you go snorkeling, mostly found in the lagoons and mangroves.

It's tough to tell from the photos, but I am unaware of sponges budding out in that way. It has the right shape and similar characteristics for me to conclude it may be a a Larval Tunicate.

Attached, is a screenshot clipping from here. See the Larval stage on the left. It is very similar.

My guess you're seeing an unusual combination of things resulting in the larvae to settle on the mother colony.

I like tunicates.
-Andrew
Andrew, is there any chance you have a photo of the tunicate you have locally? Or the scientific name? I've seen a number of different tunicates in my time snorkeling and walking the beach. I know they come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes and colors. But I haven't seen any quite like this one.

I'll try and get some better photos and post them here.

Tectitethya crypta

I looked at that sponge and I'm quite sure that's not it. And given the way it produces new, smaller versions of itself, I'm not at all convinced that its a sponge at all. I'm not that familiar with sponge reproduction, but I don't think they make copies of themselves. And of course, it's purely my assumption that the small versions seen attached to the bigger ball version are offspring.

I really appreciate your input about this guy. I'm really stumped. And in roughly 100 days of snorkeling in the Florida Keys, I've only seen 2 of these.

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at that sponge and I'm quite sure that's not it. And given the way it produces new, smaller versions of itself, I'm not at all convinced that its a sponge at all. I'm not that familiar with sponge reproduction, but I don't think they make copies of themselves. And of course, it's purely my assumption that the small versions seen attached to the bigger ball version are offspring.

I really appreciate your input about this guy. I'm really stumped. And in roughly 100 days of snorkeling in the Florida Keys, I've only seen 2 of these.

Ron, I was hesitant to reply after realizing who I was replying to. You have great content and know your stuff.

I live in RI and grew up on the water in the area, these tunicates are generally shades of grey and tan occasionally something more exotic. They’re easier to miss than see. I set up a 6” cube months ago and did not notice I for weeks that was at the base of some macro algae. That little cream one is why I recently had been reading more about the creatures.

Unfortunately it’s been too many years since I’ve been anywhere in Florida but the Orlando Airport. I remember seeing these while kayaking /snorkeling as a kid visiting my grandparents in Sarasota and general area. I found the green ones interesting because everyone thought they were plants. Obviously I’ve always been a tad bit weird.

I think you’re completely right that it looks like budding. However I suspect we are being tricked.

I looks across a number of sites with collections of tunicate ID photos as wel as sponge identifications. None I’m confident calling an exact match. Many similarities however it seems costal green tunicates aren’t of i retest to most people. Sponges only slightly more so. It’ll change someday.

I believe the easiest way to know it is a sponge or not is to biopsy it for analysis. They’re two similar things in the macro level but should be clear under magnification.

I’m staying the obvious of course.

Personally I wouldn’t biopsy, only wait for a piece to naturally become available.

That’s some solid snorkeling days! I have been looking at real estate in Florida and if I ever move I hope to enjoy the area as much as you do.

-Andrew

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andrew, is there any chance you have a photo of the tunicate you have locally? Or the scientific name? I've seen a number of different tunicates in my time snorkeling and walking the beach. I know they come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes and colors. But I haven't seen any quite like this one.

I'll try and get some better photos and post them here.

Tethya and relatives look exactly like that and do indeed reproduce by producing those star shaped buds that break off and tumble around.

Google Tethya gracilis and you'll find pictures. Yours is not T. gracilis, but something closely related.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ron, I was hesitant to reply after realizing who I was replying to. You have great content and know your stuff.

Personally I wouldn’t biopsy, only wait for a piece to naturally become available.

That’s some solid snorkeling days! I have been looking at real estate in Florida and if I ever move I hope to enjoy the area as much as you do.

-Andrew

I'm no expert, not by any stretch. I do have some years of experience, but not much education in marine sciences.

I grew up in Michigan, spent 20 years working in central Ohi and moved to SW Florida 20 years ago. I have to admit, as one who enjoys snorkeling, beach walking, marine sciences and aquariums, SW Florida has been a great place to live. And we are only very rarely bothered by hurricanes!

Tethya gracilis

You could be very close here. I looked at a lot of Tethya species and it seems most of them are orange. As Andrew stated, it might be easy to ID if I opened it up. But it's alive and surviving in my aquarium, so until I find another one, this one is safe from the knife!

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert, not by any stretch. I do have some years of experience, but not much education in marine sciences.

I grew up in Michigan, spent 20 years working in central Ohi and moved to SW Florida 20 years ago. I have to admit, as one who enjoys snorkeling, beach walking, marine sciences and aquariums, SW Florida has been a great place to live. And we are only very rarely bothered by hurricanes!

You could be very close here. I looked at a lot of Tethya species and it seems most of them are orange. As Andrew stated, it might be easy to ID if I opened it up. But it's alive and surviving in my aquarium, so until I find another one, this one is safe from the knife!
Theres more photos of the orange ones because they are orange and look nice. They exist in white, brown, green, red, orange, yellow and a bunch of other colors.

The white ones are the most common actually

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tethya and relatives look exactly like that and do indeed reproduce by producing those star shaped buds that break off and tumble around.

Google Tethya gracilis and you'll find pictures. Yours is not T. gracilis, but something closely related.

I think you’re right. This paper shows one reproducing and is very similar.

Part of me hopes it’s a tunicate though.
-Andrew

Attachments

• 760E0C03-2648-4450-B329-AAA2E6DE896A.png
    760E0C03-2648-4450-B329-AAA2E6DE896A.png
    356.3 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@a hill, that sure is close to mine in looks. Thanks for helping out.

The one think I think is different about the one I have (besides the color) is the 'spikes' that the have 'buds' develop at the end are more stiff than like soft stringy tendrils. But that's probably just a small difference.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is also for a Tethya species sponge also but looking at Sprung's "Invertabrates" the recessed oscula (crator like holes) are suggestive of Cynachyra or Cynachyrella sponges not Tehtys

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back