What is coralline algae?

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

This is a totally noob question but I keep seeing reference to coralline algae and people wanting it, or how to get it, and I’m sitting her thinking what is it and why do people want it? I looked it up and from the pictures it looks like a purple algae, which shocked me because half my live rocks are purple already, so is that why? What benefits does it bring to a reef tank?
D8DE6C0A-DF24-4C14-891B-D30A1ACC859A.jpeg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s purple algae. People want it because it looks nice and makes the tank “look better”

FishyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand, coralline is a good sign that your tank is more mature, you don't usually see coraline in newer tanks. A lot of rocks are painted purple before they're sold though, I have painted rocks in mine as well as some coralline. Eventually the coralline will cover the paint and they'll all be the same color.

I can't tell from the picture whether that's paint or coralline. I'm guessing paint because the parts that aren't purple look very white, but if you got your rocks from an established tank it could very well be coralline. Either way those are some really pretty colorful rocks! :)

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a calcerous type of algae that comes in many colors, not just purple. There is even a branching/spiraling type that grows upwards.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a benefit from it, or is it only just for aesthetics

Where coraline grows GHA and other algae can’t. So that’s a good thing. It will use a lot of calcium and Alk once it’s gets going. It also will cover up the pores on your live rock and cover up places good bacteria likes to be. It’s also a PITA to scrape off the sides and front of the glass and likes to clog up powerheads. Worth it to me but not everyone.

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's a good sign if you see coralline algae in your tank. It can be a pain once it spreads over your tank and you have to scrape it off. Just another duty you'll have to do while owning a reef tank.

marlinmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

This is a totally noob question but I keep seeing reference to coralline algae and people wanting it, or how to get it, and I’m sitting her thinking what is it and why do people want it? I looked it up and from the pictures it looks like a purple algae, which shocked me because half my live rocks are purple already, so is that why? What benefits does it bring to a reef tank?
Looks like RealReef to me

Robert1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Hi All,

Robert1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added liquid coralline to my new tank several months ago. I started my tank with a'ha that had never been anywhere near water and was harvested from my land while clearing for agriculture. I had forgotten about adding the bottled algae. I started seeing calcium like growths on my walls and scraped them off. My now live rock is now host to my pink/purple coralline culture and is beginning to spread out. It's also growing on my pumps and refugium. Have I unleashed the tiger ?

Lightspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, quality natural live rock will be plated in various varieties of Coralline or in time providing parameters and lighting etc you will eventually have your own encrusting coralline growing on manmade rock and pretty much every other surface in your display.

Careful of that purple man made rock though, i have 4 pieces in my scape in amongst 70kilo of quality natural live rock.
Heads up though that fake "real reef rock" is the ONLY rock in my aquarium that grows gha. I will let you figure the rest out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Coralline algae is reddish algae in the order Corallinales. They are characterized by a thallus that is hard because of calcareous deposits contained within the cell walls. The colors of this algae is most typically pink, or some other shade of red, but some species can be purple, yellow, blue, white, or gray-green. Coralline algae plays an important role in the ecology od coral reefs. Sea urchins, chitons, limpets and psarrot fish feed on coralline algae. In the temperate mediteranean, coralline algaes are the main builders of a typical algal reef.

Robert1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it appears that the purple coralline in my tank is covering some of my Zoanthid colonies. What to do ?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 148 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 121 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back