Paph. hiepii & jackii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin

Reaction score
I got 3 plants labeled as hiepii last year. One flowered some weeks ago:

Paphiopedilum hiepii von epicphals auf Flickr

There were also two P. jackii in bloom, which I found in a batch of P. purpuratum:

Paphiopedilum jackii von epicphals auf Flickr

and both species together:

Paphiopedilum hiepii & jackii von epicphals auf Flickr

Clearly Martin all are jackii's but all very nice

Ok, out of curiosity, what is the status of hiepii? Species or what?

I agree theses look similar, but would genetics figure it out? What about comparing to the hiepii type specimen's genetics, assuming there is one.

Like I said, lovely flowers the OP has!

The latest I've heard, hiepii was a one time thing that was nothing more then badly mutated or starved of moisture jackii, possible malipoense

Looking at the flowers together, there are differences. Is there a large variation in jackii that could account for the "hiepii" plant looking more like a weak maipoense? Or maybe it is malipoense...

Only places I've heard mention of hiepii are Averynov's book and SlipperTalk...:confused:

You may recall Roth telling us the story about a European nursery that crossed the two, jackii and malipoense to get hybrid vigor in order to flood the pot plant market of said area? The outcome being somewhere in between the two species as is this first flower one could argue.

You may recall Roth telling us the story about a European nursery that crossed the two, jackii and malipoense to get hybrid vigor in order to flood the pot plant market of said area? The outcome being somewhere in between the two species as is this first flower one could argue.

No, must have missed that. Off to search the stacks...

From what I read, "hiepii" was a particularly poorly shaped jackii, with a hooked pouch. That form was never seen again.

Thanks for your nice comments.
I am not really familiar with with the taxonomy of this group. I just got it as hiepii, so I named it. But I think there are differences between the hieppii plant and the jackiis.
Let's wait to see the other 2 plants blooming. I wonder how they turn out.

Hien's link to Manza's description states what Eric and I have already said " no such thing as a hiepii"

Latest posts

Back