Pecteilis sagarikii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Here's a neat southeast Asian terrestrial. Pretty easy to grow and flower, but it doesn't multiply year to year. Like many of the SE Asian Habenaria species, this one goes dormant in winter due to dry conditions rather than cold.

Here's the whole plant. It is small, standing no more than six or seven inches high. The leaves absolutely hug the ground and are subject to rots. Please excuse the mineral spots and crappy condition of the leaves - lots of bugs had lunch this summer.

PecteilisSagarikiPLT.jpg

Please DON'T call it the Donald Duck orchid - yuck!

PecteilisSagarikiFLS.jpg

The side profile is fun too, especially that funky, curvy spur.

PecteilisSagarikiFLSD.jpg

Besides the condition of the leaves, you've done a great job in flowering this plant. It looks like some kind of bird with yellow bill and if you look closely you can also see the eyes of the bird. I can see an Eagle.Totally awesome plant, love the electric colour and uniqueness. Although without the flowers, the plant must look pretty plain.

What a lovely shape for this white bloom with that cute yellow lip!!!!
(sorry but when seeing the 1st pic, it def. recalled me Donald:):)) Jean

Wonderful, Tom!!! What conditions do you give it to bloom??? Light? TY

Wonderful, Tom!!! What conditions do you give it to bloom??? Light? TY

Lots of heat and humidity in summer. Grow it along with your paphs and that is fine. I grow it in a well draining, but highly organic mix - humus, plus perlite and sand. In winter I remove it from the pot and put the tuber in a freezer bag for the "winter". It stays warm however, not below 15 C.

Oh, ty Tom!!! I thought it would be best not to put it in a mix with mostly organic matterial!! I must make some changes to mine but for next year!!

TY again!

Oh, ty Tom!!! I thought it would be best not to put it in a mix with mostly organic matterial!! I must make some changes to mine but for next year!!

TY again!

Hey TY, don't use more than 50% organic material, or you may have rot problems. So humus, composted bark as half the mix and sand and perlite the other half.

Great species... Tom, I was wondering how much to feed Pecteilis as they don't have many roots. My susannae, which I bought in flower, gave me new growths after dormancy, but they are not even half the size of the previous growths.. :(

I've been growing P. sagarikii for three years now and it performs about the same each year - 3 leaves and a handful of flowers. I fertilize exactly the same as for the tropical Habenarias from SE Asia, about every two weeks up until they spike, then I stop. I use a mild blend liquid Hyponex 6-10-5 at about 1/3 dilution (~1 ml per liter). I've been growing P. susannae for two years under similar conditions, but a bit more bright. Last year it started late and never flowered. This year it is around 80 cm tall and forming buds as we speak - YIPPIE!!! Important note: since the water quality is bad here, I repot yearly to cut down on accumulated salts. That could be your problem...

Latest posts

Back