We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula 2014  (Read 57234 times)

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
Re: Primula 2014
« Reply #300 on: June 12, 2014, 07:25:43 AM »
I once found a cross between P flaccida and P vailli. There is a photo here somewhere on the forum.
It didn't set seed and I lost it eventually. Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #301 on: June 12, 2014, 09:53:03 AM »
I once found a cross between P flaccida and P vailli. There is a photo here somewhere on the forum.
It didn't set seed and I lost it eventually. Susan

It's here: http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=8322.0   and was first  here: http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4976.msg158437#msg158437
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #302 on: June 14, 2014, 06:08:51 AM »
Primula sieboldii 'Dancing Ladies', grown from Barnhaven seeds. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #303 on: June 14, 2014, 10:14:39 AM »
Maybe every garden should include such pretty 'Dancing Ladies' - it would be  fun to tell visitors!

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #304 on: June 15, 2014, 04:05:41 PM »
Not strictly a Primula but belongs to the clan.
Omphalogramma vincaeflora

Grown in quite deep shade and sadly not in character. I find that Omphalogramma fry if grown in an open position.
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Geoforce

• Learning is Living
« Reply #305 on: June 15, 2014, 05:01:28 PM »
Very dramatic photo Steve. Wish to heck I could get that sharp of focus, but my eyes are not good enough to set it that good from the finder screen.

George Forsythe, Pennsylvania, USA
"Learn something new everyday."

Steve Garvie

« Reply #306 on: June 15, 2014, 05:27:30 PM »
Very dramatic photo Steve. Wish to heck I could get that sharp of focus, but my eyes are not good enough to set it that good from the finder screen.

Thanks George!
I use Canon gear which allows adjustments in the viewfinder for the declining vision that we all experience from middle age onwards. I think all of the big camera brands have a similar facility for diopter adjustment.
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/dioptric_adjustment_lenses.do

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

jomowi

« Reply #307 on: June 15, 2014, 08:59:16 PM »
Omphalogrammas are a favourite of mine, Steve.  I used to grow O. minus and O. delavayi in my garden in Aberdeen. They were in a shady bed with a high humus content.  I now live across the water from you.
1. Omphalogramma delavayi
2. Omphalogramma minus
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Steve Garvie

« Reply #308 on: June 15, 2014, 09:45:10 PM »
Omphalogrammas are a favourite of mine, Steve.  I used to grow O. minus and O. delavayi in my garden in Aberdeen. They were in a shady bed with a high humus content.  I now live across the water from you.
1. Omphalogramma delavayi
2. Omphalogramma minus

Stunning plants Maureen!!!
When I grew Omphalogrammas in the past I lost them through rot of their fleshy roots. I thought the roots looked similar to Cypripedium and so now grow them in the same very lean pumice mix that I use for Cyps -no more rot, but the plants dry out quickly and wilt in the heat. I now have to grow them in dense shade but the've become leggy as a result. Time to compromise I think!  ???

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Geoforce

• Learning is Living
« Reply #309 on: June 16, 2014, 01:22:29 AM »
Fantastic bloom Maureen.    The color, texture and fringed look of the petals in the first photo is wonderful.  Are the petal reverses the same color?

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #310 on: June 16, 2014, 12:56:54 PM »
Maureen  - Exquisite Omphs.  Might I suggest when you post pix of plants of such rarity that you ask Maggi for a dispensation on pic size. Ask for the very largest possible!

What a feat!

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #311 on: June 16, 2014, 01:14:16 PM »
Maureen  - Exquisite Omphs.  Might I suggest when you post pix of plants of such rarity that you ask Maggi for a dispensation on pic size. Ask for the very largest possible!

What a feat!
johnw

So long as photo files are under 200KB they can be much larger, "pixel wise" than the size Maureen has posted. We do suggest that pix are around 760 pixels wide, maximum to avoid too much scrolling on the average screen. This does allow a photo of good size to shown fine detail, as can be seen elsewhere in the forum.  So no special dispensation is  needed!   ;) ;D

Geoforce

• Learning is Living
« Reply #312 on: June 16, 2014, 03:29:23 PM »
So long as photo files are under 200KB they can be much larger, "pixel wise" than the size Maureen has posted. We do suggest that pix are around 760 pixels wide, maximum to avoid too much scrolling on the average screen. This does allow a photo of good size to shown fine detail, as can be seen elsewhere in the forum.  So no special dispensation is  needed!   ;) ;D

For web posts, I generally open them in Photoshop then change size to 800 pixels max dimension and 72 pip.  When saved at jpeg quality of 8 instead of maximum, they almost always come to less than 200K.  If you want to reduce file size, and still retain size displayed on the screen, setting the jpeg quality down to 6 or so does not noticeably affect screen view, only if the files are used for printing.

Geo

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #313 on: June 16, 2014, 04:26:12 PM »
Primula sikkimensis in the Explorers Garden at Pitlochry  - growing  form a collection from Nepal in 2002

Photo Julia Corden

Meconopsis and primulas in the Explorers' Garden, Pitlochry
This short video was posted on YouTube by Panayoti Kelaidis ( of Denver Botanic Gardens) :

jomowi

« Reply #314 on: June 16, 2014, 05:33:51 PM »
Fantastic bloom Maureen.    The color, texture and fringed look of the petals in the first photo is wonderful.  Are the petal reverses the same color?

Thank you for your kind comments, Geoforce and John.  Yes, the petal colour is the same on the reverse as far as I can remember.  I cannot claim the full credit as Brian and I were equally into our love of growing plants.   We once managed to put a few Omphalogramma minus seeds into the seed exchange, and by co-incidence had them back amongst out allocation for packeting.  The request was for 80 packets, and we managed only five!

Re posting pics, - I am not very computer savvy and it takes me ages to reduce them.  Had several attempts as they kept coming out at over 200KB.  This despite folk trying their best to tell me the 'easy' way. My knowledge stagnated when I was left to fend for myself.  As a compensation for the small size, here is a C/U of O.minus
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal