Tutorial: How to get Tanistry and Elective Succession laws

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Agnate7

Sergeant
57 Badges
Feb 24, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris
  • Imperator: Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka 2
I knew that Tanistry was in the game, but I didn't see it in the tutorial or during my current ~9 hour playthrough as a Welsh character. I finally found it.

Step 1: Go to the title screen for your top-tier title
1599082075680.png

Step 2: At the very bottom, click "Add Laws"
1599082177872.png

Step 3: Pick your preferred available elective succession law and add it.
1599082268237.png

I just switched characters and don't have any prestige, so I can't test if it automatically switches to that succession type or if you need to then change the law in the Realm screen.

Reactions:
You should also get decision for kingdom-level (and, maybe, empire-level) titles. "Adopt Special Succession Type".

You should also get decision for kingdom-level (and, maybe, empire-level) titles. "Adopt Special Succession Type".

Yeah, it's a major decision for any King-tier or higher ruler if you belong to the cultural group that it belongs to.

I kept playing the tutorial up until forming the kingdom of Ireland and saw it pop up, and accepting it switched to Tanistry succession.

What succession law do you have now? It is only available if any empire and kingdom titles a characters hold all have partition succession laws.

EDIT: I noticed that you are Welsh, which is in the Brythonic culture group, I think? The decision for tanistry is only available to Goidelic cultures.

My kingdom is Male Preference Confederate Partition.
I edited my post, but I noticed that you are Welsh, which is in the Brythonic culture group, I think? The decision for tanistry is only available to Goidelic cultures.

After I created the Duchy of Leinster, I was able to go to Tanistry with the accompanying prestige expense of 1500. Don't know if that helps or not...

After I created the Duchy of Leinster, I was able to go to Tanistry with the accompanying prestige expense of 1500. Don't know if that helps or not...
The issue seems to be that the special cultural succession forms can only be applied on a title-by-title basis, and not as realm laws. :( If my realm is going to be just as partitioned on succession anyway, why put a bunch of Prestige into adopting a cultural succession form? If I have three counties, two duchies, and a kingdom we are talking 6x1500=9000 Prestige to make it work! o_O And presumably the electors for the different titles will be different, so it may be split anyway.

If my realm is going to be just as partitioned on succession anyway, why put a bunch of Prestige into adopting a cultural succession form?
Personally, I'm planning to give away all duchies but main one (which, in my case, would be Novgorod), turn Novgorod into elective by 1500 prestige, and turn out kingdom by decision. Let my vassals split, I say.

Real issue would be that decision would stop working in 1100.

By code.

One of decision conditions is:
"current_date < 1100.1.1 #Curtail special succession types as the centuries wear on. Ever on."

Reactions:
By code.

One of decision conditions is:
"current_date < 1100.1.1 #Curtail special succession types as the centuries wear on. Ever on."
Ah, thanks! :) Does this only apply to the decision or to adding them "manually" to the titles as well?

Ah, thanks! :) Does this only apply to the decision or to adding them "manually" to the titles as well?
Have ab-so-lu-te-ly no idea. :)

The issue seems to be that the special cultural succession forms can only be applied on a title-by-title basis, and not as realm laws. :( If my realm is going to be just as partitioned on succession anyway, why put a bunch of Prestige into adopting a cultural succession form? If I have three counties, two duchies, and a kingdom we are talking 6x1500=9000 Prestige to make it work! o_O And presumably the electors for the different titles will be different, so it may be split anyway.

I just got to the point of creating the KD of Ireland and saw the option for Tanistry succession. I thought that sounded great, but now it seems pointless for the exact reason you said. It's Ironman too, so I can't load an older save either. As it is I'm not any better off than sticking with Partition law, even worse since there's a (typically small) chance that I lose a vote too.

I just got to the point of creating the KD of Ireland and saw the option for Tanistry succession. I thought that sounded great, but now it seems pointless for the exact reason you said. It's Ironman too, so I can't load an older save either. As it is I'm not any better off than sticking with Partition law, even worse since there's a (typically small) chance that I lose a vote too.

It works out if you apply it to a Duchy where you control all counties. Then you can set the heir for the Duchy to the same guy.

It works out if you apply it to a Duchy where you control all counties. Then you can set the heir for the Duchy to the same guy.
1500 (1800, if you include a cost for a kingdom) Prestige IS a significant investment if you're tribal, though.

If you are able to get the Decision to get a special succession type, then you'll be able to get it for 300 prestige instead of 1500, but it applies to your highest tier (King or Emperor) title only. For anything else, you have to do the law on a title-by-title basis at 1500 prestige each. Definitely not something to take lightly. Even with prestige being easier to get than in CK2, that is a lot to get just to change laws without considering all the other costs you might want to use the prestige for.

If you are able to get the Decision to get a special succession type, then you'll be able to get it for 300 prestige instead of 1500, but it applies to your highest tier (King or Emperor) title only. For anything else, you have to do the law on a title-by-title basis at 1500 prestige each. Definitely not something to take lightly. Even with prestige being easier to get than in CK2, that is a lot to get just to change laws without considering all the other costs you might want to use the prestige for.

True, but for that 1500(+300) prestige you are basically getting primogeniture 300 years early, which is a huge bonus.