Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Begonias 'Freddie' and 'Red Fred'

mark4321_gw
10 years ago

I noticed my Begonia 'Red Fred' had grown considerably and it was time for a picture.

I bought the plant late last year from Accents for Home and Garden (Pepper's). I think mine was $5.95 and it's gone up a buck. It's still a great price and I do recommend the nursery enthusiastically.

The plant has been outside in a frost-free, heavily shaded area. High temps since I got it have been mostly in the 50s, 60s, 70s, , lows in the 40s and 50s.

Comments (3)

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Below is a comparison with a small Begonia 'Freddie', grown next to the 'Red Fred'. If anything, 'Freddie' gets more shade.

Here's the story on the origin of the hybrids, as I could find looking online. Someone please correct any mistakes.

'Freddie' was created by Rudy Ziesenhenne of Santa Barbara and is Begonia manicata aureo-maculata x Begonia barkeri. He named the hybrid after his son.

'Red Fred' was a sport of 'Freddie' discovered by Brad Thompson and grown and propagated by Mike Flaherty, also of Santa Barbara.

As mentioned above, I bought 'Red Fred' from Accents for Home and Garden. 'Freddie' is from a leaf cutting of a friend's plant. I assume my friend's plant traces back to San Marcos Growers

Here is a link that might be useful: Begonia 'Freddie' at San Marcos Growers

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry if the pictures are redundant. I was assuming the 'Red Fred' only photo would be a larger size.

I neglected to give a link to the Accents for Home and Garden 'Red Fred' page. I really think it's important that we publicize the best nurseries, and indicate the quality and price of their plants. There's so much nonsense on places like Ebay right now, and the more information people have the better they can make an informed decision.

I just noticed their description of the growing temperature is a bit conservative. I will contact them. I don't know if we've had a low temperature as high as 60 during the time I've grown the plant. A friend grew her 'Freddie' outside in a somewhat protected spot. They had a number of mornings with lows in the upper 20s. The plant had only minor damage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Begonia 'Red Fred' from Accents/Pepper's

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

I'm about to bring in my begonias in the next couple of weeks and was looking at pictures of more mature ones of ones you sent me :) I'm so excited! Yours are gorgeous.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths