Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mnpalms_gw

Cryosophila nana- Anyone experienced with this palm?

mnpalms
14 years ago

I've been interested in this little-known, kind of becoming rare, neat palm for a while. There is only scarce info available online.

I spoke to a guy who grows and experiments with these but could not get too much from him. Zone 11 and not very good English spoken...

This appears to be a somewhat hearty fan palm (I'm told it can take down to at least upper 20's (F) at higher elevations and I know for certain it can grow in full sun or almost complete shade and is pretty drought tolerant.

I was lucky enough to score 8 seeds which I believe will be viable, from two mature and 8-foot specimens growing in the wild. These were among some other seeds I acquired on a recent trip to the Pacific coast of Mexico but to me these are the most important.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to germinate these successfully? Like I said, there's very little info on this species. I took great care in selecting ripe seeds and not bringing them through radiation when flying back to the USA. It's a very cool tree and I want to grow some! Thanks in advance for any info anyone can offer.

Comments (4)