IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Basselinia Pancheri

comic097

Here is the latest addition to my garden, Basselinia pancheri, scored this from a very dear friend, it has been treated like royalty. i noticed yesterday that the old palm frond was ready to come off, so I grabbed out the trusty iphone and snapped away, shes a beauty.

IMG_2935.thumb.JPG.d0a7c239d7422b112dbf7

IMG_2936.thumb.JPG.729e667cc5cbbe466b077

IMG_2937.thumb.JPG.13a056c86f5c61adbe84c

IMG_2938.thumb.JPG.239c16c999a5e2c3d3ceb

IMG_2939.thumb.JPG.744b06f389e617c5b0126

IMG_2940.thumb.JPG.7088a4ddc7e628f18d62d

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Holy cow......that's a beauty. Dear friend? I guess so. 

That one has been around awhile no?

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Geezuz Paul, what a friend you have !! What a beauty...are there more like that in Aus in pots ? 

Great pictures there! It's one of the few species of Basselinia that grow well in containers for us. Nice job.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

2 hours ago, comic097 said:
1 hour ago, comic097 said:

Very nice one of my fav palms, i always loved that one out at that nursery at Yandina on the sunny coast, i haven't seen it for about 10 years but i think Troy from Tassie posted some pics of it a while back it getting quite big now but i think it actually looked nicer when it was smaller.

Ive also killed quite a few seedlings of these :(

Edited by pigafetta

Heres the thread about 8 pics down http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/34519-giant-palms-of-new-caledonia-sunshine-coast-queensland/&page=1

IMO like i said looked so much nicer 10-15 years ago when the crownshaft was at eye level, was also a lot more colourful when it was smaller.

Edited by pigafetta

Thanks pigafetta, yep that's Leo's place, nice pics alright, was there not long ago, his pancheri very tall now, some extremely nice palms growing there 

Paul  

Beautiful palm! Like the use of the croton as an accessory, adding to palm's ambiance not detracting. The Croton looks like a Bogoriensis, a cultivar whose origin is traced to the Philippines.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

4 hours ago, pigafetta said:

Heres the thread about 8 pics down http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/34519-giant-palms-of-new-caledonia-sunshine-coast-queensland/&page=1

IMO like i said looked so much nicer 10-15 years ago when the crownshaft was at eye level, was also a lot more colourful when it was smaller.

Still one of my favorite threads I go back to often. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

18 hours ago, LJG said:

Still one of my favorite threads I go back to often. 

Fabulous place - unfortunately the owner Leo Gamble sadly passed away earlier this year - he was in his eighties ! 

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

• 6 months later...

Well were almost at the halfway point of our winter here and have just noticed leaf number 2 opening since planting back in late Dec 2015. Feel free to post your pancheri, would love to see em

Paul  

IMG_6304.thumb.JPG.4ee594419938ab89a24d2

• Upvote 3

Very nice, great colour!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Yeah Ben, yours has much better color than Pauls. He's got the more common low land form. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 2 years later...

What a beauty!  So what are the reasonable odds of growing one of these from seed as an indoor outdoor container palm (in Europe, gulp) I see it's mentioned that it's one of the few that do well in a container, but also a few of you mentioned how many seedlings you've killed.  Let me know, I've got a line on some seeds and I'm thinking of giving it a whirl!