IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis faneva requirements

KrisKupsch

Hi, i just wondered if anyone has grown Dypsis faneva? Any hints on winter hardiness? tolerant of 2-4months of dry? Ultimate height ? age to maturity? and any general information ie rarity in the wild etc.

Thanks Kris

G'day Kris

I have only small ones in pots labelled as this species, They seem to like shade as a young plant, plenty of water in a well drained medium. I have no experience with this sp in the ground yet.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

No worries growing this one Kris, no special care required apart from amount of sun...like most smaller palms.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Here is one of mine beside our toilet, I think it needs a good amount of fertiliser. post-5654-0-58364200-1362180025_thumb.jp

Mine about the size of Kris's is showing a lot of leaf tip burn. I'm not sure if that is humidity or nutrients? The leaves are green otherwise.

We lost the only 2 that we tried here. We don't know why, we have lost hardly anything else.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

I've got about 5 in ground,in red volcanic soil and in full sun in my madagascan garden down the bottom and apart from some recent leaf burn during the previous dry spell they seem to cope with the conditions quite well. I remember seeing Clayton's large D.faneva in his shadehouse at Utopia before it punched a hole in the roof and into full sun and to say it was impressive was an understatement(crownshaft a deep red in colouration).I don't think i took any photos at the time,maybe Daryl or Wal have,but WOW what a Palm!....Cheers Mike Green(Newcal)

Couldn't resist posting a recent pic of D. faneva and D. paludosa in the garden, they are such beautiful little palms. They get quite a bit of shade from a Clinostigma

and so far haven't been crushed by the fronds. Lots of mulch,water, and humidity and not much fertilizer. Planted in Jan. 2010 from 2 gal., so not too bad growth wise.

Good on ya Mike for planting a group, they really stand out.

post-1300-0-48084300-1362283079_thumb.jp

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks Cindy, really a pretty easy grow here and surprisingly almost pest free. I've got one growing in full sun and it doesn't look near as

good as these in partial shade, but growing at about the same speed.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii