IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis nauseosa getting big! (Was highland mealybug, hovitrendrina)

BS Man about Palms

Sooooo This guy is finally getting some size to it. You can find some history and old pics here: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/25513-the-4-dlastelliana-of-the-apocolypse/

Its currently holding 4 leaves, all at least 5 foot in length.. Heres its bootay.

post-27-0-84698600-1437196210_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 4

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

These pics were taken about a month ago, hopefully the can gives it some scale.

post-27-0-10024900-1437196781_thumb.jpg post-27-0-27896300-1437196889_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Here it is a couple days ago. The palm slows waaaaay down in the winter and grows decent in summer. I have found the leaves very sensitive to sunburn and both age and a bit more shade as my garden matures to help the leaves look better.

post-27-0-58321300-1437197289_thumb.jpg

Anyone else have some to post pics of?, Please do.

this palm has been in the ground for at least 5 years.. maybe closer to 7 or more

• Upvote 1

looks real nice Bill!

Great job!!

I only have a 5 gal not worthy of a picture :(

you garden looks a bit weed free?

have you been been weeding??? :mrlooney:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Bill, i dont agree that is Nauseosa. Seeing them in habitat they all have one similar trait, pendulous leaflets, which yours does not have. But whatever it is it is very impressive, great job.

• Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Thanks Guys.

And yes, been trying to get some weeding and mulching done... maybe 50-60% of the front yard is under control... :bemused:

• Upvote 1

You are not far off from trunking bill. Maybe 10 years? :)

• Upvote 2

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Haha I wanna say yes... BUT since even trunks in Hawaii on this palm seem rare, it may be even longer.. :bummed:

I would like to see how the Greg Hamann one is doing since its move outside from the Atrium it was in. It was a stretched 3 times the size of mine palm...

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Some north queensland nauseosa about to flower.

2015-11-02 18.39.10.jpg

2015-11-02 18.37.32.jpg

Wow B)

nice!!!

Sunset zone 24

This palm grew fantastic this summer... I can't believe the spear is about 6-7' and not open yet!

Sooooo This guy is finally getting some size to it. You can find some history and old pics here: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/25513-the-4-dlastelliana-of-the-apocolypse/

Its currently holding 4 leaves, all at least 5 foot in length.. Heres its bootay.

post-27-0-84698600-1437196210_thumb.jpg

hMM.

I have some bay-bays, from Kevin Wee-vah, just shifted from line-ahs . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 5 months later...

I thought I posted this perspective shot of this, but can't seem to find where.... But I took this at the end of Feb to show how long the spear was getting and still not opening.. If its not clear, the tip is about 3 feet behind in relation to my fingertip. :D

20160223_172709.jpg

• Upvote 3

Well, the spear kept growing and growing and a couple days ago the spear was just starting to crack open and in the full moon last night  I decided to measure the spear length. 10 FEET! YES! TEN FEET LONG! But the base is not even a foot above the soil line and it DOES see some full sun everyday!

Anywho.. I called it, I woke up to this.. :D

20160424_091815.thumb.jpg.531b25428c5bb6

• Upvote 5

Growing to be very nice Bill! :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

• 1 month later...

10' of frond as of yesterday.

20160524_170141.thumb.jpg.70290f7344f099

20160524_170209.thumb.jpg.fcd53454a3249b

• Upvote 4

Scream.

Sob. Looking for the right music to play to the babies in the greenhouse.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

BTW.. Heres an old pic I found I posted in another thread of this palm when I bought it.. probably 10-11 years ago..

574863b079d34_oldpicsofpalms.thumb.jpg.6

Its the 2nd 15 gal pot from the center left pot in the foreground. You can see the characteristic long petioles with leaves at the end already well in play.. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

BTW.. Heres an old pic I found I posted in another thread of this palm when I bought it.. probably 10-11 years ago..

574863b079d34_oldpicsofpalms.thumb.jpg.6

Its the 2nd 15 gal pot from the center left pot in the foreground. You can see the characteristic long petioles with leaves at the end already well in play.. :rolleyes:

How old was it then? I'm afraid to ask.

Hard to say Dave, I would guess 6-8 years old, maybe more. Definitely one of the slower heeled Dypsis..Hard to get to the 3-5 gal size, then I think easier..

13 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Hard to say Dave, I would guess 6-8 years old, maybe more. Definitely one of the slower heeled Dypsis..Hard to get to the 3-5 gal size, then I think easier..

was it initially grown in a green house to speed up the growth rate? still one of my favorite palms in your garden Bill...or wait...was it K. Magnifica..Hmmmm cant decide

• Upvote 1

Sunset zone 24

• 5 weeks later...

Spotted 2 of these at the Singapore Botanical Garden. They were labeled Dypsis "sp.". We set them straight on the "current" name, lol

20160618_100637_resized.thumb.jpg.796ba6

20160618_100706_resized.thumb.jpg.fbcbb9

Mine seems to be a size either equal to, or just behind their largest..

20160618_100714_resized.thumb.jpg.97cfe2

I guess I never to any pics of the large one... :indifferent:

• 3 weeks later...

Posting this because of recent pics at Jeff Marcus'... however, looking closer, they almost look like different palms! 

20160717_125048.thumb.jpg.88804ebd37b205

20160717_125003_resized.thumb.jpg.06a9e6

• Upvote 4

They are definitely different palms!! I'd be very interested in Dean's thoughts on this topic?

I have seen heaps of palms that are obviously the same as your Bill but I only know of 4 or 5 specimens the same as the floribunda palms ( and that includes the 2 pictured at floribunda by Dean )

• Upvote 1

Can one of you guys post a link to the photos you mentioned that Dean took, of Jeff's plants?  If it's a thread on here I must have missed it. Thanks!

Great Images Bill.

I am trying to germinate Dypsis decaryi. They won't be anytime soon due to planting today....:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Very nice! I take it tomentum is the hairy bit at the leaf base?

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Here's the pic Dean took at Floribunda this week. Jeff claims that Bills palm morphs into this. 

image.jpeg

• Upvote 6

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

6 minutes ago, MattyB said:

Here's the pic Dean took at Floribunda this week. Jeff claims that Bills palm morphs into this. 

image.jpeg

Damn, those are cool. Certainly not a Nauseosa. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Wow I hope mine look like that in 5-10 more years.. :-) Look at how excited Matt is!!

20 hours ago, Kennybenjamin said:

They are definitely different palms!! I'd be very interested in Dean's thoughts on this topic?

Ok - I'll try to relate what I think is happening here. A little Dypsis confusion - can you believe it? :) And I think I may have even perpetuated some to it in the past, along with others. After checking with some people this afternoon, I think this is what may be confusing things.

There were two Dypsis - one referred to as Highland Red Neck (HRN), and another as Highland Mealy Bug (HMB) - and there was also another D. lastelliana with "mealy bug" markings that at one point I think was also being referred to as Highland Red Neck and/or Mealy Bug Lastelliana - just to confuse things further. But it appears as if both the HRN and HMB were referred to as Hovitrendrina (or something like that) at various points in time - and that is where the confusion may have originated.

Now, from what I can gather, Bill Sanford's palm (the one with the "frosting" on the petiole and spear) is HMB - and is the one that is being speculated as being D. nauseosa. And the ones with the red fuzz that Jeff M and Matty B are standing next to is the HRN, and hard to believe it would morph into what is believed to be D. nauseosa.

But that would mean that I am disagreeing with what Matty and I thought we heard Jeff M. say. And disagreeing with Jeff is definitely going out on a limb. And maybe we just "mis-heard" him.

But what I tried to outline above is the only thing that seems to make sense, and seems to agree with what some Aussies are saying. But what I still find puzzling is the red fuzz starting to form on the Singapore plant - which to me looks like the HMB palm. And if that is what the Aussies believe is D. nauseosa, then that will all have to disappear as it gets older- certainly not out of the question.

So, as you can tell, I'm still not so sure the whole story is all that clear yet - but I tried.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Yeah, what he said ^^^^^^

I knew I shouldn't have come to Hawaii and played the Dypsis mystery game with the big boys. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Bill, the confusion between your palm which might be the Aussie-termed Dypsis 'white redneck' and the Dypsis sp. hovomandriana ( IMHO now wrongly being called Nauseous) has been going on for years.

The plant in the photo with MattyB and that Dean calls Highland Red Neck (HRN) is the same plant Marcus had as Lastelliana but noticed they were not when they went irregular-leafed. Bill Austin has some too:

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Nice links Len...... Shows the difference very nicely and I completely agree that they are the 2 different species in question here

Excellent links and the only troubling thing is I think Shon spotted some random ones of the special ones which he and I managed to locate/ acquire.. mine did not make it.. :(