IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Basselinia Pancheri

Cocoa Beach Jason

Courtesy of Searle. Just opened a new leaf. Seems happy right now with only low 80's highs within a shady banana clump. Hope it can handle summer heat. Anyone having luck with these in Central Florida zone 10a? I'm thinking of keeping it in a pot. 

image.jpeg

• Upvote 3

They have been a real easy one to grow for me as container palm.  Once grew one up to approx. 6' and then sold it at a recent Extravaganza Sale.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2016‎ ‎8‎:‎04‎:‎55‎, comic097 said:

How old would you say that one is in that pic Jeff ? 

I'm guessing it's a about one foot tall. No more than 3 years or so.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Easy grow for us in San Diego. I have a bunch of 1 gals I have had for many years. All have sailed through our cold winters unscathed.

good score!!

Jeff grows very nice palms indeed!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 4 years later...
On 4/3/2016 at 10:05 PM, Jeff Searle said:

I'm guessing it's a about one foot tall. No more than 3 years or so.

Hi Jeff,

What soil mix are you growing these in?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I have a few Basselinia coming in and I want to adapt the soil for them if necessary. Planning peat/perlite/lava mix for now.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

• 6 months later...

@Cocoa Beach Jason How’d your B. pancheri make out? I ordered 2 and 1 didn't make it very long. This one seems to be doing well so far. I ordered another back up for the one I lost and that one is floundering already. Im in Merritt Island hoping to get one or two of these to work. 

24C861F5-2D5F-4E9E-9BB8-44B09480BBF8.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 1:08 PM, D. Morrowii said:

@Cocoa Beach Jason How’d your B. pancheri make out? I ordered 2 and 1 didn't make it very long. This one seems to be doing well so far. I ordered another back up for the one I lost and that one is floundering already. Im in Merritt Island hoping to get one or two of these to work. 

24C861F5-2D5F-4E9E-9BB8-44B09480BBF8.jpeg

I’m sorry to say it croaked. I can’t remember why bc it was a while back. I can’t remember if I tried planting in ground or if I left it in the pot. Sorry to not have more info. 

• Upvote 1