IR 92 Zahlmeister Helmet

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
An ultra rare officer pickelhaube from the J Turinetti collection, the Zahlmeister or Paymaster helmet:
Compresed Fig 4.1 IR 92 Zahlmeister DSCN17610101.JPG
The miniature brass eagle attached to the eagle tail indicates Zahlmeister.
Compresed Fig 4.1 IR 92 Zahlmeister DSCN17620202.JPG
Compresed Fig 4.1 IR 92 Zahlmeister DSCN17630303.JPG
Compresed Fig 4.1 IR 92 Zahlmeister DSCN17650505.JPG

Very nice.
Surprised to see that combination.
Does it mean they had the little Zahlmeister eagle for every regiment. Meaning it may be sitting on every special helmet plate.
By special helmet plate I mean every Prussian line eagle plate with a additional bandeau or other items ?

Stuka, I will leave the answer to that question to more experienced collectors.

stuka f said:
Very nice.
Surprised to see that combination.
Does it mean they had the little Zahlmeister eagle for every regiment. Meaning it may be sitting on every special helmet plate.
By special helmet plate I mean every Prussian line eagle plate with a additional bandeau or other items ?

As I know the little Eagle is a general sign for a military official (Militär-Beamter)
Sources of following pics „KNÖTEL, COLLAS, P. PIETSCH: Uniformenkunde - Das Deutsche Heer - Friedensuniformen bei Ausbruch des Weltkrieges Bd. 3“
B79644A8-5E4C-44BA-AE90-346965245387.jpegABD342C4-80CD-4A04-9B80-2F29A14C617C.jpeg

I think that every regiment would have a Paymaster
and the small Prussian eagle on each Paymaster's front plate .
Other Paymasters of non-Prussian regiments would have the
different small emblems as shown on the D D H plate posted above .
That I R 92 was formally my helmet that I traded to Jim T.
at this year's S O S 2020.
The reason we don't see them very often as there was only
one Paymaster per regiment I think
Steve McFarland

It sort of makes sense that an officer who is responsible for distributing Government funds to his Regiment would have some sort of "distinction" on his helmet and uniform.

Does anybody have a picture of an bavarian paymaster Helmet? On the extracted sites I posted there are little plates for Reich, Prussia, Saxony, Baden, Hessen, Mecklenburg, Schwerin Strelitz, but no Bavaria. I cant’t believe that no little bavarian paymaster plate exits?

Good question .It seems that there are surely Bavarian Pay Masters .
However the Bavarian Armee seemed to have their own way of doing things
If anyone comes up with a reference on Bavarian Pay Master it would
be interesting to see . Maybe Chip knows ?
Steve McFarland

Thought I would show examples of a few I have showing the different small wappen on the big wappen.

James

1) Saxon

2) Baden

3) Prussian

Thanks for sharing!
I have seen the Prussian one a few times, and the Saxon maybe once, but the Baden is new to me.

Found some information in those booklets.
Dating from the early '70 ties.
Don't know how reliable they are...
Will post it asap.

This IR92 Zahlmeister is one of the amazing Pickelhauben I have ever seen. I had the pleasure of visiting Steve M.(KAGGR#1) in 2007, and I had my nose pressed up against the glass so long looking at this helmet, that Steve had to use window cleaner to get my nose prints off. Absolutely perfect superb textbook IR92 stamped Totenkopf. A unique helmet.

Here is my contribution, a rather rare Hessen Unterzahlmeister.

Hessen_Unterzahlmeister.jpg

Wow!! I never saw that beauty the last time I paid you a visit!! When we get out of this virus crap I am going to have to darken your door yet again! Loops on the reverse or screw post? Totally awesome wappen! Keep up the posts T, we need to keep our "shut in" members busy during this pandemic! :thumb up:

Tony ;
Great Hessian plate ! I had never seen one before .
Thanks for posting the photo .
Yes , that is the same helmet that was mine
I traded it at the S O S 2020
It now has a new owner .
BTW ; I got the Kube auction catalog yesterday
there are some amazing front plates up for auction
the entire catalog nothing but front plates and ringkragen .
The collection of R. A. Harden .
I do not know this collector .
maybe some of you out there know him ?
Steve McFarland

Back