Fluidized bed filter for Rowaphos?

mark freshwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,
would this work with Rowaphos ?http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.c...filters/fluidized-bio-filter-400l-h-2225.html ,
or would i be better off with something with 1/4 fittings ?
my tank is 270 litres which i think is 70 gal, they also make a 600l model.
And also is Rowaphos the best product?
i havnt got a phos problem at the moment but would like to set up a few things just in case,
i had a tank years ago and had a red algae bloom (that red stringy stuff) and it took over the tank really quickly.
thanks mark.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be fine for rowaphos, gfo is fairly hard, but just don't use it for carbon as carbon will grind up and get in the tank. I would definitely suggest the Hanna phosphorus meter for testing. Cyano will grow even with almost no nutrients, so phosphates aren't necessarily your culprit.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any canister or reactor that allows you to up flow the water essentially becomes a fluidized bed. In the case of GFO or carbon, you aren't going to want so much flow that the media becomes fluidized as it will fracture and potentially end up in your tank. Just put a small ball valve on the unit so you can get the right amount of flow. Don't think it really matters which model you buy.

OP
OP
M

mark freshwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks,
What are the other culprits for Cyano?

Also ca!ore when you say fluidized what do you mean?
Do i run it just fast enough so the media turns slowly?

Also i have various powerheads laying around but i have a aqua one skimmer ( which actually seems to work well) and it has 2 outlet pipes , could i run any reactor/bed filter i decide to get off it, or would it much around with the working of the skimmer with back pressure .
s-l300.jpg

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a reactor that has hard elbows instead of those rubber ones, those rubber elbows always crack and shut water across the tank, usually at a elec plug. My brand new one with rubber elbows split when I tried to put those god awful plastic tube holders on it. I know if sounds like one of those As seen on TV where the people as totally uncoordinated, but there are better options out there.

OP
OP
M

mark freshwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldnt even tell they were rubber, if they pop or screw off i could just replace with hard plastic ones?
if not what about :
FB700-2T.jpg

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back