• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
aaaa.gif

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
It's gonna be an

HarmoniousAlarmingBedlingtonterrier-max-1mb.gif

game then.

Seriously, fucking stop with that crap yo. Stupid fucking and useless buzzword. A/AA/AAA was only used to promote games to stores. To show it is a big game, and that the titles could maybe expect lots of sales, because of the big budget for both development and marketing behind it, but that hardly ever means the quality is great.

We've seen plenty of games being touted as AAA in the past decades that turned out be terrible, unfinished pieces of shit.

Addendum: We've also seen smaller budgeted titles be way more polished than those supposed AAA titles. There's no meaning to it anymore, and it just makes your project look like a damn joke that should be avoided.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
What's the A in these stand for again?

Oh, there's no real meaning at all outside of sales. That's what A/AA/AAA were used for. It's a sales thing, for stores. For them to determine how many games copies they should buy. You know, if you had a store owner/manager that wasn't into games and didn't keep track of them. That's it. That's where it came from.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, there's no real meaning at all outside of sales. That's what A/AA/AAA were used for. It's a sales thing, for stores. For them to determine how many games copies they should buy. You know, if you had a store owner/manager that wasn't into games and didn't keep track of them. That's it. That's where it came from.
Nothing, videogames just borrowed it from bond credit rating https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bond_credit_rating

That's so normal. I wonder what execs think any of that AAAA stuff means or what such a game is supposed to accomplish? Games with budgets of 100s of millions aren't rare anymore, and those are like gaas games like Genshin. Is it gonna be a really high budget single player game? All it sounds like is that they are going to make the gaming equivalent of the next coming of Christ.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
People make fun of it, but AAAA absolutely makes sense. There's a difference between the typical threshold for AAA, and those handful of games that seemingly have infinite budget thrown at them. When I hear AAAA, totally understanding that it's marketing speak, I think of something like Red Dead Redemption from a budget, development cycle and staffing standpoint.

It's the same thing as when people roll their eyes at "2nd party," claiming that it doesn't exist as an industry term. That's true that it doesn't, but for the sake of a short and sweet way of saying a "3rd party developer making a first party title for a platform holder," it's useful in gaming discussions.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The more I learn about this game the less interested I am lmao. Set in the PUBG universe, generic mid 2000's looking protagonist, publisher claiming it's AAAA. I hope it turns out well but I get the feeling it's going to disappoint.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
I can't decide if the term "AAAA" is funnier than the amount of emotional response to it here.

Who cares? It simply refers to budgets and a quality bar they are shooting for.

Also, that image says it is "targeting" later 2022. Which translates to "it will be delayed at least a year."

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
Can't wait for Jim Sterling's pronounciation of 'quadriple A games' as his frequent use and pronounciation of 'triple A games' always leaves me in tears.

Oct 25, 2017
The more I learn about this game the less interested I am lmao. Set in the PUBG universe, generic mid 2000's looking protagonist, publisher claiming it's AAAA. I hope it turns out well but I get the feeling it's going to disappoint.

None of those say anything about the game's quality though. At this point I'm putting more faith in the pedigree of the people making it as Dead Space was bloody brilliant.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Not this again...

Just noticed that "PUBG" branding on the name too, why are they doing this?

Probably because PUBG is a recognizable brand and a widely popular game.

When you're writing your story headline and a big bee flies towards you.

Legit tho, AAAA means nothing. Is it supposed to be a signifier that it will be of a higher quality than a triple A title?

Because this is the PUBG team.

Just the same publisher, the dev team is not the same. Not even in the same country.