When to defoliate?

• Thread starter FuqStik
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FuqStik

FuqStik

About to transplant to the 13 gal containers... When can I defoliate some of the fan leaves to help the under growth and the new sites from FIMing?

When to defoliate
thehighguy

thehighguy

you can defoliate any time, although i would wait at least 3 days to a week after translating as to not shock the plant to much. try not to remove fan leaves unless its absolutely necessary. they can train the smaller branchy colas out making life easier especially if you FIM or top the plant. i will cut just the leaf tips to allow light to pass troublesome fan leaves during veg and only remove some leafs for airflow purposes. during flowering i slowly remove all the fan weeks though the first 7 weeks of a 8 week flower cycle, and by the flush week all thats left are sugar leaves and small fan leaves. take an occasional leaf after the plant stretches.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
The real answer? It's more of an experience thing. Like a go by feel kind of thing. After you grow enough plants you will just kind of see it and do it. I know this is a round about answer but really the only way to explain it. It's one of those things you teach a newer grower by having them just watch you do it side by side. It's hard to say X or Y cause it's different for different strains and how many plants, what kind of lights ect. Not a 1 size fits all kind of thing.

GreatWhiteShart

GreatWhiteShart

I am no expert but here is what I have done in the past.

I defoliate, top, and train all through veg to get the plants even for a flowing stretch.
The day before I flip the lights to 12-12 I strip the plant pretty bare, taking every fan leaf with a petiole, and lolipopping the under growth.

Second defoliation is usually done from day 15 to 21 ish
When the plants structure is set, stretch is over, and it has begun to produce a good amount of pistols.
This defolation is done the same as the first, stripped down. Then relax and wait ✋
At this point I take clones from the trim, they tend to grow pretty rapidly with the flowing hormones juicing them

Cheers

Top Bottom